Who's going to be next?

Tazio":2q5uu5mf said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive company go to the wall.

Hopefully McDonalds.

Let's face it, burgers don't exactly have a good reputation in the eyes of Joe Public at present....

David

Easy_Rider":33s4yv1h said:
A lot of these chains grew by out-branding and undercuttingany small independent local high street shops that have long been lost, seems the chains are now loosing out to the Internet shops.
I think high streets will soon be filled with Tesco locals, Greggs and Starbucks.

Jessops got pretty greedy and bought out a few of their competitors (in the West Mids, Shrewsbury Camera Exchange springs to mind), and the over-expansion has gone badly wrong for them. Where I live this does mean that the 2 remaining photographic shops in town are independents; I'll be more than happy to send my business their way.

David

Oddly enough I drove by Blockbuster's shop a week ago and said I can't understand how they manage to keep going. 7pm and there's no one in the shop, staff sat around and lights blazing.

Now I can't figure out how the likes of DFS and SCS keep going. How many sofa's do they sell in their continuous sales?

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but more than just online killing the high street, it's one in particular - Amazon.
HMV have an online presence selling everything they do in the shops, they just cannot compete with Amazon.
Even Play have struggled in recent years.
Until the Government forces companies operating in the UK to pay UK tax foreign companies (read Amazon) are going to continue to kill off the British high street.

As for who is next, W H Smith are an obvious candidate. Their strain station shops will be bought and continue to trade but their high street shops are doomed.
Waterstones are still struggling, I think Argos had a good Christmas so will stagger on for a while yet. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see their town centre shops closing to be replaced with the larger Extra stores on out-of-town sites.
I'm surprised it's taken Blockbusters this long. I know people who work there and they've been teetering on the edge for 2 or 3 years.

yagamuffin":2rqf1gd5 said:
I hate to jump on the bandwagon but more than just online killing the high street, it's one in particular - Amazon.
HMV have an online presence selling everything they do in the shops, they just cannot compete with Amazon.
Even Play have struggled in recent years.
Until the Government forces companies operating in the UK to pay UK tax foreign companies (read Amazon) are going to continue to kill off the British high street.

I don't think the all-under-one-roof, bulk-discounted approach of the supermarkets helps high street retailers either - if you can drive to a convenient out-of-town Tesco* or Sainsburys with umpteen parking spaces and stuff your trolley with paperbacks, DVDs, etc. as well as groceries then convenience-hungry shoppers are going to give town/city centres a wide berth.
Since the whole tax business came to light, I've stopped using Amazon and would rather purchase on the high street and be served by an actual person.

David

*I'm not a big fan of Tesco on many levels; apologies if my excessive criticism of them is starting to sound like flogging a dead horse. ;)

yagamuffin":1mdy6cwz said:
Their strain station shops will be bought and continue to trade but their high street shops are doomed.

Was that typo accidental, or do you just use the passenger-unfriendly labyrinth that is Birmingham New Street on a regular basis? ;)

David

Latest posts

Back