Urban RetroBike #2 - Saturday 19th January 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to make it unfortunately. Bikes are still in bits after a frustrating day of not much building. Deffo see you at the next one though.

RetroBike in bits?

I've lost track of who is struggling to get their RetroBike together for the ride. It's probably against the rules, but just about every ride I have been on there was someone on a much newer steed. If you have a modern era ride, don't miss out, come along anyway.

Also one spare retro MuddyFox hybrid up for loan if you want to start/finish from Purley, 700c x 35 wheels, 7 speeds, goes fast, suit anyone around 6' and taller.

Thanks for the PM and offer but bike would be wrong size for me. I will miss this one and look forward to the next ride instead.

riding modern isn't against the rules, you just lose points in the best retro bike category ;)

I'll be on my 94 Axis, as my Axis R build has stalled, as has my WCF 4.0 build. It's too bloody cold

Weather update

It looks like it is going to be a bit more snowy than first predicted, but providing you can get to the start point ok, I am still very keen to ride. The Crane brothers rode (state of the art then) RetroBike Saracens up Mount Kilimanjaro in the late 80s. What is a few miles of London footpaths by comparison.

We can modify the route, make it shorter, avoid some of the bleaker sections, etc.

Do dress for the weather though, maybe bring a back pack with an extra layer, change of gloves, etc.

I have been advised that helmets are madatory on all RB rides, for me that will be one of the scary downhiller variety. I tested it out yesterday and today in London traffic, I might have looked a prat but the cars stayed at a more respectful distance than usual.

I will carry a few multitools in case things work loose due to the cold, etc. I appreciate you are all grown ups, don't mean to patronise and hope this helps make for a more enjoyable day.

profile+new+02.jpg

Assuming I can get there, I will still do it in shorts, so ner! Once I've started, I'll warm up just fine.

I'm more worried about my water bottle freezing solid, but at least there will be lots of shops to buy water.

I'm not sure Londons going to be that rideable on Saturday! I'm also not sure about the trains...

What's the expected mileage?

WB2 are you going up from Hove?

Danno":2iopcwok said:
I'm not sure Londons going to be that rideable on Saturday! I'm also not sure about the trains...

What's the expected mileage?

WB2 are you going up from Hove?

Train from Brighton, depending on the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back