Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

cce":2vd2x254 said:
It's clear to me this is a rider. Riders should always be equipped with kit that means you'll be happy riding them. If that means v-brakes, so be it.

When I first bought it, it had those awful Kona canti's on it. I swapped them for HS22's when they first came out and I LOVED them. Unfortnately I'd really have to get 3 cable stops brazed on the top tubes to fit maguras and make it look neat.

I bought the HS22's just before V-brakes came out, and I could have bought top of the range ones with what I spent on the Maguras. :cry: :D :D

So V-brakes it is - if I get the paint done at Bob jacksons I may get a little cable stop put on for the V-brake, but top be honest the modified dog collar looks very nice and should work as well as a cable stop - I think the Kona's look a bit bare without the dog collars. And if I use one it'll keep it original, ish.

BUT I'me never going to sell it. So who know what I might do?

Bought this stem via a wanted ad on here, from the one and only Steve Worland!!

null_zps82f5227d.jpg

Its a later Kona stem, but a shorter 80mm reach.

To be honest my back always hurt riding this bike so I want to try a shorter stem on it. I also prefer the top of the quill section like this - never liked the recessed bolt version like this:

null_zpsec97f0b4.jpg

... which is the original one. As you can see I have found a top cap I can use with it, needs some filing down and a longer bolt, but I should be able to make it look like a standard fitment stem if I take my time.

I will be getting both resprayed the same colour, and GilM is doing me a set of decals for the whole bike and both stems, so I can try either one......

if it was mine..

i'd be respraying it!

its your bike and needs to be looked after properly and treated to a new coat of paint..

scratches.. scrapes.. bubbling paint.. will only invite rust in and shorten its lifespan..

ill be doing the same in the next year to my treasured rockhopper that i too sold to someone else and then got back.. probably going to change the colour too to satin black as ive always fancied it in this colour..! it will still always be my rockhopper underneath :)

Until I can find some new Gripshift grips I am going to put these NOS DX thumbshifters on.

Got a load of stainless bolts too - I hate rusty bolts.... :)

null_zps2da7447c.jpg

Box of goodies!!

New 8sp cassette, Yeti grips, silver 27.0mm seatpost, silver carbon look cables. And a red chain. Why did I buy a red chain? It's probably the 15yo in me..... :roll:

null_zps4a1f6330.jpg

Great to see you got your orginal bike back Rob.

I must admit to missing my Purple 1992 Lavadome. Also my metallic yellow dawes Fat chance.

Just something special about both.

:cool:

nice reading rob,

would love to add a 96 columbus kilauea to by own fleet.

not had any work done by bob jackson myself but i have to admit the frames appear to always come with his sticker added. Now i can apprciate advertising your skills but i do feel they ruin some respary/restoration jobs. Just look at the ludicously priced explosif on ebay... its not a small sticker.

If you have not been before it might be worth checking if you want it added or not.

agree about having the collar on. you could always have a stop added to the frame then drill out the the spare dog collar to pass the outer thru it from the noodle to the stop as a thought.

good luck with the build

Back