Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

misteroo":2hgv7lok said:
Well done Rob...good job you didn't buy mine last year (even though it was in better condition ;) )

Yeah yours was in good nick, I seem to remember that I just couldn't quite afford it at the time.

I have (almost) decided it needs a respray. I have always kept my bikes in really good condition so it pains me to see the paint looking so poor.

Now I have also seen a proof of the new decals from Gil I am now even more convinced...... off the LSN coatings I think!

I have thought about doing a proper job of stove enammeling it at Bob Jackson's which is not too far from me. Not sure yet to be honest.

Rob Atkin":1npyz8v3 said:
I have (almost) decided it needs a respray. I have always kept my bikes in really good condition so it pains me to see the paint looking so poor.

Now I have also seen a proof of the new decals from Gil I am now even more convinced...... off the LSN coatings I think!

I have thought about doing a proper job of stove enammeling it at Bob Jackson's which is not too far from me. Not sure yet to be honest.

Last time I had a frame done there Rob, it was only £90, think charges are the same still (ish) Barron Cycles over at Lincoln also do a good job, for not a lot of money.
I think the old girl deserves a 5 star makeover. If you do go to Jacksons, a rear cable stop for the brakes is only £8 brazed on, so you could run V brakes.
I've always preferred Canti's and although they got a bad reputation, if you go for the top end models, like Graftons/Control tech/Machine tech etc they work as well if not better than V's.
Looking forward to the build.

Brilliant story Rob, similar to the Orange Prestige in my sig. I know what you mean about it being good to have it back :)

I think you should get it spruced up and looking its best, LSN are good for powdercoat as I've already mentioned. My Prestige frame had been done at Bob Jackson and I can honestly say it is now like a brand new frame, just as I remember it the first day I brought it home many moons ago.

Nothing wrong with modifying the 'old girl either, bring it bang up to date, ready for another 20 years of riding :D

Great story, bet it feels great to get it back. Please dont be tempted to respray it as it wont feel the same. like the POWER BAR sticker on the top tube, takes me back to my 'race' days! :oops:

Rat it up :LOL:

Only joking its far to nice to do that :cool:

You could use the Canti guide as I have on the Rat simple yet effective ;) and easy to change back to Canti's should you want to ..... Only need a spare rear mech cable adjuster....

006d13c1.jpg

Hey Rob,

From personal experience with my trek 930 I suggest to repaint, and do a OCD level job..

-the bike will mean more to you, and feel even more "yours" as you Laboured to give it the paint job...you created it.
-your future kids will be less likely to throw it in the dump if you croak

I'd stick with cantis.. Walmart bikes have v brakes!!

It's clear to me this is a rider. Riders should always be equipped with kit that means you'll be happy riding them. If that means v-brakes, so be it.

shaun":34dovl0r said:
Great story, bet it feels great to get it back. Please dont be tempted to respray it as it wont feel the same. like the POWER BAR sticker on the top tube, takes me back to my 'race' days! :oops:

They aren't my stickers so they are definately going!!!

I don't think I can cope with the paint as it is. The wear and tear hasn't been done by me so I don't cherish the marks and scratches very much...... When I last had it the paint was amazing...

Gravy Monster":492yeiqn said:
Rat it up :LOL:

Only joking its far to nice to do that :cool:

You could use the Canti guide as I have on the Rat simple yet effective ;) and easy to change back to Canti's should you want to ..... Only need a spare rear mech cable adjuster....

I'm not using the original dog collar - I have another on the way, a later one, to do the same trick with though.

Back