The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

A bargain methinks - I had some similar (two less drivers) Rogers 6s with some Quad stuff 20 years ago, very smooth sounding and capable.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I messaged the seller, turns out they are LS55's. A quick google gives some positive stuff. But....from What HiFi forum> The OP was asking about a muffled sound.

Re: rogers muffled speakers...
Hello. I used to work at Rogers right around the time those speakers were being made. They may even have my signature on the back They were assembled at the plant in Mitcham in Surrey.

Sadly they are a part of Roger's 'death throes' range and are cheaply manufactured. They are hand built, but the cabinets are chip board and the woofers are all pre assembled. IIRC they have the clear drivers. They only retailed for about 200 pounds and the plastic frames on the front were whacked in with a rubber mallet. hehe, memories !

OK, now for the bad news. The crossover networks in those speakers are chinese made, the cables on the crossovers (green and red I would bet cash on it) were soldered in by us. It was a way to get around the Made in England sticker on the back of the cabinet.

All of the drivers in those speakers were made by Vifa, who are a spanish company. IIRC those drivers were about 3 pounds each for us to buy. You will not find them as in 1999 the company closed it's doors in the UK forever, the company was bought by the japanese and was taken lock stock and barrel to the far east. www.rogershifi.com - see?

Please do not try and use cheap piezo type tweeters in there, you will damage your amplifier. Also please note there is a cut out in the tweeter hole when you remove it, 3 screws if memory serves and you will NEVER find another tweeter that fits the holes and has aligning screws. You may get one in there, but the screwholes will be a country mile off (this was intentionally done by our R&D team to stop people putting in non rogers replacements. A large lump of our profit came from replacement drivers.

I would buy some dome tweeters with a specification *as close* as you can get. These won't be cheap (probably 15-20 pounds each retail) and fit them carefully. However, before doing so test the tweeters as you may find the problem is with the cross over networks (if it is wave them goodbye and DO NOT try and fit new crossovers in there, you will damage your amplifier). To test the tweeters simply get a 1.5v AAA battery and connect wires onto the tweeter terminals and then connect those to the positive and negative ends of the battery (doesnt matter which way around) listen for a scratchy rustling sound. If you get that sound your tweeters are working and it is the crossovers.

HTH, good luck.

:eek: :LOL:

Sounds fun - I had some ultra rare pre Audiolab speakers that had a similar problem - new x-overs and they were fixed.

Those Rogers look neat Kaiser - go for them if you can get them for anywhere under £50 IMHO. You'll always be able to sell them on......

Mancave setup - think I better revisit mine, and I already have all the bits to achieve it =D

From a lot of what I've read, and a little of what I've done myself, aside from initial lack of understanding of the digital format by mastering studios (though I do own some stunning CDs from the early day so they're not all bad!), CD players had bad press due to them being built by companies more used to analogue circuitry not understanding the important bits (no pun) of digital design techniques. Specifically design of low jitter, low phase noise clocks. Poor clock leads to poor sound quality it seems.

I've heard some pretty appalling sounding expensive CD players, and as someone else alluded to, some pretty cheap, older players can be made to sound pretty f'king spectacular! So spectacular as to cause my jaw to drop.

If you start with a standard 44.1khz digital copy, whatever the carrier is, it doesn't matter. As long as you are able to retrieve that data without error (well designed clock / transport), and your DAC is sufficiently accurate (well designed clock / sufficient resolution), and your analogue segment is sufficiently transparent, then whether your signal comes from an iPod or a CD, the audio quality should be good. Whether it's as good as a decent analogue copy is another subject.

If memory serves, Stan Curtis was to take his new Cambridge Audio CD player to Vegas but couldnt finish it time and had to put it in two boxes.

The CD transport & DAC was born!

Nice story, and I imagine true. There's benefits in terms of flexibility and quality, but I believe having separate unsynched clocks can cause issues so it's a good plan to synch the lot from a master clock.

Back