Tel's Stallion Cycle Shop Venture!

About the stickers to put on bikes when you repair them.... I've had that happen to me, and I wasn't chuffed about it, especially as it was a real b***** to get off. If I were to buy a new bike from a shop and they put their sticker on then that's a bit more reasonable. Bob jacksons put one of their stickers on my caygill when they repainted it, and I would try and take it off but don't know if it will come off cleanly. People with BSOs might not mind, but someone with a half decent bike might take offence at you putting a sticker on it without asking!

Never thought of it that way foz........probably best not to disfigure someone's pride and joy. Just what we did back in the day.

CP by the way stands for "Cliff Pratt"......where I worked.

One problem with all shop flooring is that it's the same bit that gets walked on day in and day out so any carpet we had in the shop ended up with a worn bit, carpet and oil / muck is also not a good combo.

Shaun

I also would not appreciate stickers being stuck onto my bike which is the only reason why I do not do it.

I also think starting small and only building stock on the profits earned. IT will be slow to start with but it snowballs very quickly.

Keeping up to date with accounts is essential it helps come self assesment time. Because mine are up to date in a spreadsheet. Some the 6th Arpril it will take an hour to fill out the form. Then submit -done for another year.

Let your customers dictated what you stock. No point in stocking stuff that does not sell. Also most customers are great and appreciate a freindly service I have found. I have only had one non payer in 19 months and that bike was sold after 4 months of it sitting arround the shop. You can do that legally.

I have my workshop in the shop. The unit I have is not big as I want to keep the costs down. Your fixed costs will either let your business grow or kill it. Keep them as low as possible. To being with I didn't even have wall display fittings. All I had was my work benches, tools and stand. All parts were in boxes. No -one seemed to mind and people thought it was quite sensible to only spend the money I had rather than borrow and open a turn-key shop which easy to do if you £150k spare or borrowed. But then try paying that back.

It turns out that many people like to see the workshop side so hiding it out back is a loss. All those tools hanging up and in use leaves a good impression. All the wheel building kit on the bench with wheels in progess leaves another. So don't hide it away. My stand is often a talking point as people often wonder where I got it. I had it made by a hot rod builder who used to work in a bike shop to say it sturdy is an understatement. Also it only now I can start paying my self a bit on money. Even then my income is very small as most profits go straight back into new stock.

Forget advertising, it is a waste of money in the local papers e.t.c. I have tried not a single enqiry of the back of it. Word of mouth is the what I rely on and the website.

Yesterday I submitted a simple design for a sign. I'm certainly no designer and have asked if the fella maybe able to offer some creative help. At the moent I am more interested in what it's going to cost me!

Yes I have it in mind to get myself up and running with minimal outlay. I have no display cabinets etc, even my tools are looking a bit shabby now and I just have them piled up in a toolbox! I'm fairly used to keeping accounts as I have been running Stallion Cycles for over a year now. Still a chore mind.

Really appreciate all the advice and input guys thanks.

One thing I'd like to ask the shop owners is do you have any recomendations for suppliers? (PM me if you wish) As has been said working from home most ditributors were reluctant to supply me.

Must sort that insurance today. I also need to get on with selling a lot of stuff I need to raise some funds!

Attachments

• sign (1024x522).jpg
    sign (1024x522).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 368
I like the idea of a traditional stand out sign but doubt the landlord will allow it due to being directly on a road, maybe a bit more than I'm willing to shell out at the moment too. I'll ask him though, thanks for the suggestion

I'll give the frame sticker a miss then I think. Thanks.

Thanks Foz. Inspired by the NikNak packet on my desk I was thinking that I wouldn't mind going for something bolder and brighter. Hence my design below.

Was also thinking about how dark the shop will be given the dimensions, lack of windows and garage style ceiling. I'll be continuing the colours into the shop hopefully injecting some vibrant colour will brighten the place up a little.

So I'm thinking lime green and white.

Got the quote back for the sign which is quite reasonable and an offer of free artwork advice too, so chances are the sign will look nothing like my design!

My daughter prefers the red, thinks it's classier which I'm inclined to agree with.....

Ooof! Decisions, decisions.

Green on white is painful to read, difficult at first glance. Hence why you rarely see it used.
Red looks good, or perhaps go for a nice oily dark blue imo.

I definitely like the red more, dark blue also sounds good. I really don't like that green though!

Latest posts

Back