Dismantling a Campagnolo Rear Hub.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Again I need a bit of help. I have taken apart plenty of Shimano hubs but never a Campagnolo. Apart from the cones being 1mm smaller, are there any major differences?

I have looked at the bearings on the non-drive side and they are a little dry. The cassette is off so I presume the bearings and associated surface will be accessible if I remover the axle?

No horror designs waiting for me?

Thanks.

Campagnolo are completely different as there us no separate freehub body as such. The Campagnolo site has good explosd views in the downloadable area. Setting up the bearings is a doddle compared to Shimano, but removing the freehub body is not, as the ratchet pawls come out.

The cassette body looks similar to the big S version. I take it the bearings sit inside this? What I mean is, I can remove and regrease the bearings without taking the cassette body off?

A thousand curses. Very different isn't it? I should have left well alone but no, I had to have a look. Now there are small complicated looking pieces everywhere. There was some grit in it though.

Woe is me, etc, etc.

Is it 9 bearings per side?

You clutz...this was always going to end up with bits everywhere haha!

If its like mine (92 C Record 8 speed cassette) there are 9 bearings on the non drive side and 10 slightly smaller bearings on the drive side.

The freehub has 2 cartridge bearings inside, the freehub is probably still attached to the removed axle?

Mine is stripped fully now in anticipation of a rebuild so if there are any more issues you have, I'm hopefully well placed to try and help.

Laters.....

tarloone":3vu2bty6 said:
You clutz...this was always going to end up with bits everywhere haha!

If its like mine (92 C Record 8 speed cassette) there are 9 bearings on the non drive side and 10 slightly smaller bearings on the drive side.

The freehub has 2 cartridge bearings inside, the freehub is probably still attached to the removed axle?

Mine is stripped fully now in anticipation of a rebuild so if there are any more issues you have, I'm hopefully well placed to try and help.

Laters.....

Yup, I found another bearing so I did have ten on the drive side. I actually got it back together as the pawls remained in situ. However, now I can't seem to adjust the cones correctly.

I adjust them as I would normally but once back on the bike, suddenly there's loads of lateral movement again. Do you have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

I'd say classic symptoms of worn freehub bearings.

If so, this is helpful as I'm about to change them and have succesfully done so in more modern Campag hubs...as the basic method has not changed over the years

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...-bearings-your-campy-casette-body-117263.html

You can test this very easily by taken the freehub out of the equation and removing it from the axle and then reassemble and adjust the hub without freehub mechanism. If it now runs smooth without freehub...them there freehub bearings be the prob.

Another thing to be aware of is that the bearings behind the freehub body are a different size to on NDS....

I find the campagnolo system where you loosen the grub screw on the cone, adjust the cone and then re-tighten the grub screw so much better than faffing around with cone spanners.

I did a chorus hub recently and the worst part was trying to hold the pawls in while reassembling. There is a proper tool to do this but without that they say to wrap a strong length of thread around them and then lower into place. I couldn't get on with thread at all so used a bit of string :LOL: After much swearing and 3 attempts I managed to get it all back together and pull the string out without dislodging everything again.

Latest posts

Back