Thinking aboot one of these road bikes suggestions?

The most annoying thing about cheap road bikes is the lever on sora/2300 STIs to shift down a gear. it is "supposed" to be easier to access from the tops but it plain isn't its just awkward in any hand position, and requires a high amount of pressure. Try it out!

With that in mind, first (immediate!) upgrade would be some used tiagra STI that have a proper paddle to shift down.

Second upgrade would be the bargain planet-x al30 wheels 1.7kg at £150 http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... 0_wheelset

So I would buy the cheaper decathlon bike and put the extra money into the upgrades above. You can put the old STIs on ebay for just under retail price about should get £50 back for the unused wheels.

You don't need a triple a compact double is fine unless you are going touring and need to carry extra weight.

Don't really mind the wee downshift levers on the Soras and the like, although the 2-way paddles on Tiagra and up are much better.

If it were me, wheelset first - Sell the OEM set (or keep them as winter wheels) - the P-X wheels are ridiculously good value for the weight, may invest in a pair myself come the New Year if they have a sale. There were a few threads about the seals on the wheel bearings being a weak point, not sure if that is still the case. Having said that, replacement bearings are not expensive.

Bought a 2011 ex hire Trek 1.5 from Alpine bikes in the end was 1/2 price took it out last night for the first time brakes and gears take some getting used to!
Picture-164.png

Got to admit though it's much more comfortable than the MTB might just be the seat though.

Wnet round the conrer to the light the other night got the wheel caught between the paving slabs. :oops: Yep will still take some getting used to! Still managed to do OK on the Strava route I took

Baron von Trumpen Bottom":wp5rlbfk said:
Got to admit though it's much more comfortable than the MTB might just be the seat though.

Really? I feel like it is riding fred flintstones car on a quarry road... maybe steel is less real than it makes out.

Back