What is the smallest frame you ride as a 6footer+

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've often read posts about the right size bike for X height and there are lots of replies with people of the same height preferring small bikes to big bikes. I am building a bike for my hubby who is a snip over 6 feet tall.

I am curious to find out from those 6 feet tall and above what is the smallest you have happily got away with riding.

Alison

18" is OK, but I still found it not as 'right' as a 19".
I tried a 16/17" Zaskar that was just too small, seatpost height could be made to be fine but bar reach just didn't feel right, probably pushed the bars too far towards the front hub. Knees against head/stem was a little problem too at times.

I'd say 18"would be as small as I'd consider for a MTB. My inside trouser leg is 34" if that helps.

It all goes weird with modern bikes though, sloping tubes, modern angles and geometry. Top tube length is a better measure nowadays.

Reach to bars is more important so as not to screw up geometry with differing stems. Small frames long seat posts seem to be the norm now.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to bike sizes. The best thing to do is get the one that fits!! Chucking a leg over a bike is always the best way to see if it fits. I'm 6 2'' ish and I have ridden as small as a 17.5 Marin Mount Vision to a 20.5 Rocky Mountain.

Top tube length can be just as Important to a good fit as having the correct frame size.

al. :D

Things like, "Will my feet keep clipping the cantis" need to be asked. I had a small Kona briefly many years ago and that's what I found the main problem to be.

I'm 6'1"a and I can just about get away with 17ish, depending on the brand. I go for 19"c-t on my Diamondbacks

I'm 6'6" and smallest I've got away with is 18" provided top tubes at least 23" long. Can lead to neck pain though as proper heads down XC position was all I could do in this size. I set 21" as my default minimum now as 20" always feels just that bit too wee.

This is so open to conjecture, as it all depends on what someone feels most comfortable. I'm over 6' myself, with 34" leg, and rather long arms.

I loved my Klein and that was about 16.5" c-c but I'm also very much suited to my Giant, which is around 20.5" c-c

As an average tho, I tend to go for 18-19" c-c with a 135mm stem.

But we're all different

I have short arms/ body so prefer a shortish top tube. I have frames from 17" to 21" MTB and up to 60cm road.

I'm 6ft exactly and ride a 56cm (centre-to-centre) frame with 700c wheels and a non-sloping geometry for cyclo-cross; the reduced standover height makes dismounts & remounts a tad easier*. I think the top tube is also 56cm c-c but coupled with a 120cm stem seems about right reach-wise even allowing for use of an in-line seat pillar.

David

*Didn't stop me from once "sitting on myself"** at Herne Hill a few seasons back though. That made my eyes water! :shock:
**Obligatory Black Books reference - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGpG4uNKXQ

Back