Pre 93 c record chainset and 9 speed record?

Marcevo1

Dirt Disciple
Quick one - as per title - any problems with the old 7speed chain rings and 9 speed chain? Trying to get myself up to speed after a 20 year layoff!

Cool - really want a c record crank (personally the most desirable lump of alloy ever made for a bike) but crave more modern gearset to make it more user friendly.

There was a long thread about this a couple of days ago and the conclusion was that as long as the cassette and chain match the set up should work. Assuming that one doesn't try and use a track crank

You could always fit later rings. I've got 10 speed rings on these but will be running it as an 8 speed (10 speed have a great finish).

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... l&start=15

P1160241.jpg

There is no difference in the rings for 7 speed on. The 10 speed ring thing us pure marketing puff. The inside dimension of the chains is the same.

hamster":jgj5dn1r said:
There is no difference in the rings for 7 speed on. The 10 speed ring thing us pure marketing puff. The inside dimension of the chains is the same.

I just measured a few of my chainsets and there is a difference in spacing between the chainrings between 7 and 8 and between 8 and either 9 and 10. I doubt that it is enough to make any difference but it might make for a slight difference.

Back