Tel's Stallion Cycle Shop Venture!

thanks again guys :D

vivelesalpes - thanks for the suggestions and insight. Yup we're in similar situations I think, lets hope we both realise our dreams. Thanks for the storage suggestion, won't follow it exactly but that has given me an idea.

mattsccm - free advertising is good, I had considered the local doing an article. I think that once awareness has been raised word of mouth will soon be circulating enough for me to ease of advertising. Posters is a good idea, the walls aren't all that. When I worked in a bike shop the reps were always falling over themselves to give us stuff....

TGR - no you're right I need to build at a pace I can manage so was planning to lay fairly low for the first 2 - 4 weeks whilst I get the place in some sort of order, hopefully having the opportunity to deal with at least a few customers and find my feet. Hmm, long and thin is pretty much the opposite of what I resemble, if my unit was like me then I'd be working from an igloo :shock:

cchris2lou - the place has changed a bit now. I have the left hand gate door to add a sign (both sides so you can see it when it is open) I also have the possibility of putting something where the West Street Scooters sign is, I'll look into a banner perhaps. I'm also okay to put a sign directly on the door and at the end of the building to be seen from the main road. Bikes on the roof would be cool but I'm sure would not be very popular with the neighbours...

Midlife - yes you (and chris) are right the workshop should be at the back so that customers have to come into the shop which may encourage them to buy something they didn't realise they needed. Also for sheer appearance, etc. My thinking was that to get the bike from the front of the shop means wheeling a dirty old bike past all my nice stuff in such a tight area.

So a fairly minor point; what type of flooring? Carpet for the shop area? Gives a warmer feel but obviously will get dirtier quicker than tiled, etc. Cheap though and I may not even stay in that unit for a whole year.

I'm thinking about the signs to have at the moment. For the end to be seen from the road I'm thiking just -

Stallion Cycles
Trafalgar Court, Queenborough

and then surround it with logo's from the big brands; Shimano, Campag, Mavic, reynolds, etc so that it will be recognisable to cyclists?

On the gate something like:

Stallion Cycles
(www.stallioncycles.co.uk)
Cycles, Spares, Repairs
07825 955058

Can't decide on colours yet!

For the door just - Stallion Cycles.

Any opinions?

If at all possible no impression is better than a bad one. I know you know that I suppose . Say no rather than take on too much work.
Can you scrounge a fancy apron with logos on it? Looks professional!
Howabout scrounging old cycling shirts as wall displays. Fake a few signatures :LOL: You can have mine. 1981 club junior hill clmb champ. Me (1:cool: and a 14 year old beginner competing. :oops:

I think workshop at the back too - with a space of those dimensions, if you have the workshop at the front then customers will hardly be able to get in through the door, and you need to get them all the way in so that they can see what you've got on offer.

For repairs, you'll need storage space for possibly quite a few bikes, so bear that in mind.

I think simple, understated (but visible) signs are the best. Nothing too large, garish, or over the top. A regular cyclist will recognise mavic, reynolds, and campag stickers, but not many ordinary people with BSOs will, so you need to make it clear for them too.

I think carpet for the floor is more inviting, and surely there are some types that don't collect or create fluff, and are fairly stain-proof?

One way to get "free" advertising would be to get some freebies printed up and give them out to regular or good customers - water bottles are a good example, I also have a small saddle mounted tool bag with a local shop's name on it.

And I have no idea what free security measures are available now - when I was a kid, it was free to get your postcode stamped on the BB, in case the bike got nicked. If there's something similar that you could offer for free or cheap, and that wouldn't cost you anything, then that might be another way to attract customers.

I really admire you for going ahead with this Tel - I'd like to be able to do it myself but already have a decent LBS where I live, and lots more in the surrounding area, so the market is a bit saturated.

Good luck!

I would avoid any mention of a Mr Saville who has been on the news recently if you are doing kids' bikes.

Just my 2p's worth!!

When you repair a bike stick one of your labels on it :) we used to, a very tasteful CP logo with address :)

Lino floor by the way.......

Have you got a logo?

Obviously a little horsey but don't mention burgers :D

Shaun

TGR":2dyjejo7 said:
I would avoid any mention of a Mr Saville who has been on the news recently if you are doing kids' bikes.

Just my 2p's worth!!

now now, let's not lower the tone.

Midlife":1aqzgnx3 said:
When you repair a bike stick one of your labels on it :) we used to, a very tasteful CP logo with address :)

Lino floor by the way.......

Have you got a logo?

Obviously a little horsey but don't mention burgers :D

Shaun

Haha! :LOL:

Lino all the way through or just the workshop area in your opinion?

I use a logo like below on my receipts but its a bit too fussy and I'd really like to have something relevant and cool designed. Today I contacted a sign maker about shop signs, he could very likely knock up some frame stickers too. What is CP?

Horse_Tribal_Tattoo_by_Susetti.jpg

Perhaps thing about a hang-sign to mark out the position of your shop more clearly too. Fashionable but classic.

718_Sign_500px.jpg

Apologies for my attempt to lower the tone, i will try something more newsworthy and very recent (as per a post above) -

Is it a coincidence that HAMBURGERS is an anagram of ...

SHERGARS BUM?

I am in an easily amused mood today.

Back