Oh no, they're coming.....Oh no they're not

Isaac_AG":ippi4a7v said:
1210tech":ippi4a7v said:
Isaac_AG":ippi4a7v said:
longun":ippi4a7v said:
as a builder.....make shit tea and theyll hurry it up lol ;)

Make tea :shock: Don't they bring flasks :?:

Alison

Flasks!?!?! You'll be lucky!

Make sure you at least offer them a brew, there's nothing worse than working at someone's gaff and they don't offer u a drink or you might start to get the comments like 'has the kettle broke?' or 'you had a power cut?' :)

My sister had an insurance bloke around once, and stayed for ages, and he made a comment like that to me when he wanted a cup of tea, I was so incensed I told him if he wanted a drink he could bloody make himself one and walked off.

I'll try to be a bit more polite here, how often do they expect sustenance, I've never had builders around before :D

Alison

Just make them one when you are having one or leave all the gear out for them to use. You never know they might not want one but its always nice to be asked ;)

Isaac_AG":3pcefxjz said:
how often do they expect sustenance, I've never had builders around before :D

Alison

if you put it like that, they'll probably fit an 'instant tea tap' for you.....

i'd say 1TPH before lunch break..... (TPH = Tea Per Hour)

twain":1qp9x94z said:
Isaac_AG":1qp9x94z said:

Alison

Nah, more like:

on arrival (maybe, they might have one with them)
mid morning
at lunch
mid afternoon

1TPH would have me off to the toilet every half hour :D

1210tech":2oqij4e6 said:
twain":2oqij4e6 said:
Isaac_AG":2oqij4e6 said:

Alison

Nah, more like:

on arrival (maybe, they might have one with them)
mid morning
at lunch
mid afternoon

1TPH would have me off to the toilet every half hour :D

when i'm working on my bikes i tend to guzzle the stuff! although i do tend to find myself all of a sudden in an extreme need to relieve ones self.....i tend to switch off from my bodily functions when i'm in the 'build zone'.....
your suggestion would seem more appropriate, dont want to seem too keen!

make them one when they turn up and then say when they have nearly but not quite finished it "right crack on your not here to drink tea.
this shows that you are in charge, you wont have them slacking off with the classic " ive just got to pop out to get a part" which always takes 3 hours if they come back at all and should negate the "is your kettle broke" comments.
or let them wander around with their mobile phones stuck to the side of their heads and not getting on with what your paying them to do.
Im not bitter or owt :LOL:

Isaac_AG":3qoqc7hk said:
I'll try to be a bit more polite here, how often do they expect sustenance, I've never had builders around before :D

Alison

Alison, I have had quite a few builders and decorators in my gaff over the past couple of years (I have a nasty DIY allergy) and in my experience you can start another brew as soon as they've finished the last one. I didn't know it was possible to drink that much tea! No complaints though, they never actually took a break just slurped it as they worked. You'll be very popular if you give them a few biccies as well.

I haven't (and wouldn't ever) make tea for workmen in my own house, purely on the basis that I don't expect anyone else to make me a drink when I show up somewhere to do my job.

If builders brought their own mugs, and then asked if they could make their crew a brew, I'd be only too happy to show them where the tea/coffee and sugar are kept.

I do hope these people can wipe their own backsides... They can, right?

N/B":10b76yei said:
I haven't (and wouldn't ever) make tea for workmen in my own house, purely on the basis that I don't expect anyone else to make me a drink when I show up somewhere to do my job.

If builders brought their own mugs, and then asked if they could make their crew a brew, I'd be only too happy to show them where the tea/coffee and sugar are kept
I do hope these people can wipe their own backsides... They can, right?

Bit harsh that, a brew is a bit different to expecting a full Sunday dinner, when buyers or clients have been to see me, I always offer, its a sign and gesture if good manor and politeness.

Back