MY 1999 TREK 8900

Steve Pro

Retro Newbie
Hi guys - just wanted to show my old hardtail.

My knickname within my riding group of buddies was 'Mr Sheen' - the bike was always immaculate, and I'd even get off and walk around puddles sometimes...

That was a long time ago - now I've a full sus and plough through everything!

I kinda 'retired' this 8900 from offroad about 4 years ago. It was a brutal ride in the Peaks/Wales - and i struggled with the braking. A 160mm rotor up front and V brakes on the rear were a joke on those hairy descents.

So recently I whipped off my FOXRLT 80's and lobbed on these carbon forks. Now she's my 'tarmac ride', when its so wet and miserable out there I'll just do an hour on this and stay clean...ish

The frame is immaculate.... but boy is my EX8 a comfier ride!

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• BABY 2.JPG
    BABY 2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 946
  • BABY 1.JPG
    BABY 1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 945
That's a really nice "road bike" .It looks just right with the carbon forks and minimally spoked wheels,,, I have a real trust in my old trek vrx they are very nice and well made frames and can take a lot of stick! ... I do all my tarmac miles on a mountain bike,I just cant seem to be able to resist kerbs and other "logical" routes..Killed a few 700 rims,,, :D
mark.

Yup the frames were solid, well made T6 6061. And i think some of Trek's first to have an open swallowtail gusset on the downtube. Though this particular frame was a warranty replacement to a blue '8000' I bought. The 8000 had a failure on an internal collar/shim in the seat tube. Gutted at the time in 1999.

This was my first alu bike, and in this set up is a brutal ride but accelerates like a whippet. Est 22lb. Before that I rode a steel Ridgeback 705rs/lx/dx/control tech/use... Steel is so much more flexible and comfier on a hardtail!
S

Greetings from 2022! U are going to love this story. im 19 which makes this bike a bit older than me. Long story short I am a college athlete and cant be spending recovery/energy units on biking but I love being on a bike its so convenient for college campus too. My buddies dad loaned me this exact bike (without ur awesome upgrades) and I converted it to an ebike! I pull like 42 mph on a flat. What should I look for when upgrading my shocks?

Back