1980 Raleigh Record

sexysi

Dirt Disciple
Here is some pics of my 1980 Raleigh Record after a respray and rebuild.
The only thing that is not original is the cassette and chain, and th wheels, however still got the original Black wheels, just need them respoked and trued up.

61138.jpg

61136.jpg

61140.jpg

Regards si

Thanks, I always loved the Record Sprint, had one when I was a young teenager.

Couple more pixs

61871.jpg

61868.jpg

61866.jpg

61867.jpg

61863.jpg

All the Gold bits are very very Gold

si

black and gold is a great color scheme i think. the wheels really suit the bike. i am currently restoring an old viscount racing bike. i'm having it powdercoated green, cant wait to see it finished. did it take you long to restore your bike?

Not long at all really. It was in pretty good nick, just needed a couple of light coats of black to get rid of the 30 yrs of scratches. The nice Gold brakes are the second set I have, bought off ebay. The other set are a lighter Anodised colour, but I prefer the Golder looking ones. The rest is just sheer polishing, taking apart re-greezing everything. Labour of love.

The wheels are from my 2012 Bianchi Impulso as I have just bought a set of Mich Race wheels for the Bianchi and these Reborto Corsa wheels were going spare.

I have got the original Black anodised wheels, but they need new spokes and re trueing, Job for a wet Sunday afternoon, I think.

Cassette and chain are brand new HG items, but as the Record is only 6 Speed, I have had to use an 8 speed cassette at the moment and not use two of the gears. Will be sourcing a 6 speed cassette asap.

The decal set you can still pick up off ebay, which is different to the "Space Shuttle" version on the newer Records. But is cool and an old factory source.

Cable outers are normal, gold set as well as the black bar tape.

This Record came with a 105 gear set, so kept them, just really polished them up. Had the original pedals, I just added a set of Toe clips. I usually use SPD's but wanted to keep the Retro theme going.

Lovely bike to ride, brings back good thoughts of my childhood. It only comes out in the sun, but looks fab.

si

Hi im new to this forum and thought id join because i hav just got a Raleigh reynolds record 501 after my giant mountain bike was stolen from work, got this bike from a friend for a good price but it does need work doing to it. The rear cassette is abit chewed up but still works, thinking of buying a new one but have no idea what im looking for or where to find one. its 6 gears at the back and 2 up front. Just asking because im guessing mine will be similar to yours and you said you replaced your rear cassette or would i be ok to use a 8 speed rear cassette like you?. p.s nice looking bike you did a Awesome job. Hope mine looks that nice after some of the parts i ordered turn up this week.

hope you can help cheers

You can get triumph "sprint" decals on ebay to add after "record", specify 40mm length and gold colour

H lloyd cycles sells the R501 logo's.

Shimano mf-tz21 7 speed 14-28 screw on freewheel will fit and work fine, with hg50 chain. Or shimano tourney

watchorn_luke":188bch0f said:
Just asking because im guessing mine will be similar to yours and you said you replaced your rear cassette or would i be ok to use a 8 speed rear cassette like you?
Unlikely - I think the Raleigh's original wheels would use a screw-on freewheel (7sp max) rather than a modern 8/9/10/11sp freehub cassette. You could replace the rear wheel/rear freehub with a modern cassette unit quite easily though - just need to spread the frame to accommodate the wider width of the modern unit.

Have a look here for more info:
http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Back