Bolthole on forks sheared: Mudguard idea's

OK no problem,

You can always have the Helicoil option as a backup if it goes wrong
...Helicoiling would use a 5.2mm hole for M5 thread and a 6.3mm hole for 6mm thread.

All the best,

Absolutely, a comforting insurance policy as i approach this with some trepidation! I saw a vid on the helicoil too.. what a great idea that stuff is. Presume i match drill holes with taps .. m5/5mm bit etc?

Thaumaturge":chwzlfbr said:
Absolutely, a comforting insurance policy as i approach this with some trepidation! I saw a vid on the helicoil too.. what a great idea that stuff is. Presume i match drill holes with taps .. m5/5mm bit etc?

No, the tapping drill size for M5 is 4.2mm. That's the size that you need to drill, in other words.

Bolt size minus thread pitch gives you the hole size to drill.(M5 X.8 is therefor e 5-.8 = 4.2 as Andy R stated. M6 x1 is 6-1 = 5 and so on .)
Matthew

Ooh i seee.. i took pitch to mean the properties of the thread helix.. i.e. its spacing/speed. That makes for some odd drill sizes though doesn't it.. so there are special bits just for predrilling?

In the interests of closure, one of the taps i had was a nice round pitch number of 1mm so was able to drill it and tap successfully :)

Back