The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

kaiser":auh5klsf said:
Yes I think thats going to be the way to go, PC/Ipod source, amp and speakers.

In a similar vain, I use the PC through my amazing new AV amp (see a page or two back) but also want it to play through the system in the next room (Denon f201, photo above), either separately or concurrently.

How am I best to split the signal? My current hope is that I can go to the AV with a short digital lead and next door with a long 1.5mm-phono lead so that they are totally separate. However it's been suggested that I can go amp to amp so short digi lead from PC to the AV then from there to the Denon somehow? Wirelessly would be amazing but with nowt in the budget I doubt it's an option.

Please forgive the beginner fumbling!

I think your amp has 'zone 2' amplification built in.

If not, a very long phono to phono lead will do - from memory, up to 10m is ok before any signal loss.

10m of speaker cable too, again from hazy memory.

for digital, short is better but there are all sorts of gadgets about. Video senders are quite effective if you already have one, just connect the audio instead.

I have to get out of the mindset that not everybody is a tightarse like me doing everything for as little outlay as possible!

legrandefromage":3nc83fkc said:
I think your amp has 'zone 2' amplification built in.

I have to get out of the mindset that not everybody is a tightarse like me doing everything for as little outlay as possible!

You really don't, certainly not in this case anyway! :LOL:

The digi will only be a couple of metres PC to amp, I figure that means the amp will be doing the important bit (DAC) rather than the graphics card?

So then I can just run a phono lead from the Zone2 output (I'll go look for that) to the amp in the next room (or I've remembered a bluetooth gadget I might try out) and Robert's my mother's brother, as they say?

That sounds too easy...

Will be a long phono cable though, maybe 20m, so will have to see if it has any noticeable detrimental effect.

Thanks!

Also, any thoughts on those Black Diamond 9 speakers to use with the small Denon f101 system? Xmas money is looking in danger of getting spent!

elPedro666":1hvj1e6q said:
Also, any thoughts on those Black Diamond 9 speakers to use with the small Denon f101 system? Xmas money is looking in danger of getting spent!

should be fine - made in China in a hilarious Simpsons style factory with animals/ trees/ stuff going in at one end and so called 'British' products coming out the other.

China's products are getting to where Japan was in the early 70's - i.e: very good and getting better by the month!

Just reading some conflicting reviews, as always :? Been suggested that the bass is a bit 'thick' and they're artificially warm, masking detail. Seems a bit harsh perhaps?

Looking at these as an alternative - heard a set at a friend's house recently and they were exquisite, so crisp, but of course everything else was different to my kit so apples&pears to a large degree I guess.

Guess really is the operative word here! :LOL:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1052922916

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Has anyone used Wilmslow audio? I've decided rather than get new speakers I'll resurrect my old Missions. I'm at the point of trying to contact them, if they weren't engaged and wondered if anyone had used them?

kaiser":2cg99tpm said:
Has anyone used Wilmslow audio? I've decided rather than get new speakers I'll resurrect my old Missions. I'm at the point of trying to contact them, if they weren't engaged and wondered if anyone had used them?

what do you need doing to your speakers? I can refoam and redo the x-overs if required.

I'm no sure even you could do owt with this.

8383932806_cb64386cc0_b.jpg

ah, those...

I just replace those drivers with similar. I dont think they can be repaired in the conventional sense just reconed in standard materials.

Back