Genesis Latitude

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Have a rethink at the end of last year, too many bikes but my go to bike was always my modern Kona - discs and great forks make a huge difference, even if it weighed more than my older bikes.

Anyway, I decided to move on my loved Lava Dome as it was just too small for me. My stumpjumper I just never got on with really - very harsh and very XC. Some better forks would have helped but then I still would have preferred my modern bike. So that went too. Having thinned two of four bikes I then decided I wanted a newer frame than my Kona. Looked at some frame only deals but nothing inspired at my price point, and I wanted an 'in-between' amount of travel (120-130) and most were set up for 100m or 150.

In the end after amonth of searching I found the bike for me at my LBS...less than half the price of it's RRP.

Only had it a week and not ridden in anger

Genesis_zpsee040b49.jpg

The reason for not riding it was the weather, and when I went to ride today one of the levers has 'popped out' (as can be seen) - just a circlip but not something I can fix so back to the LBS. I did a short urban ride and liked what I saw so far.

Loving the fact I have a steel frame again, modern geometry and a new drivetrain. Some of you may have noticed the bike normally comes with RockShox but mine has SR Raidon's - there was a problem with the RockShox that it came with. These get a decent review and being air should be able to set them up to suit me so not too upset with that.

Only change from me is the pedals to my nukeproofs which were much better than the V8 copies this came with.

me too... :cool: looks like a nice build..

my LBS has one in the window, in a lovely metallic burnt orange colour, and I covet it immensely.. :oops:

IMG-20130120-WA0003_zpsf26f67f5.jpg

So brake fixed, picked up from my lbs today, went out for a maiden spin with my brother and the chain snapped 500 metres from my house. Gutting! Now to get that fixed...

Is this the 853 version? Are you still loving it?!

Very much on my radar at the moment so keen to hear more... ;)

elPedro666":3rxw8xoy said:
Is this the 853 version? Are you still loving it?!

Very much on my radar at the moment so keen to hear more... ;)
It's the poorer man's version (531 tubing), that said it feels pretty good nonetheless.

I still love it. Stating the obvious but this is the first time I have had a steel for ages (as my main bike at least) and I still can't get used to how much softer the back end is, you notice it after an hour in the saddle compared to my previous aluminium hardtails. I would imagine the 853 feels even better given it's a fancier tubeset ;)

For me this ticked all the boxes and i've not been proved wrong - modern geometry, opportunity to run longer than 100mm forks without going too extreme (like an On-One 456 for example, not that there is much wrong with them), UK based so sensible tyre clearance and suchlike.

Not particularly much I want to change with it - may treat it to a nicer drivetrain as bits wear, but its a well put together package. Out of interest are you thinking of going frame only or complete bike?

Back