Jason McRoy's Salsa ala carte

Nice bike nevadasmith!

The first Salsa with the heavier more closely painted jelly bean strokes had the RS1 forks with a Duraace headset and gripshift. The gripshift probably came off his Carrara. The XT cantis probably came off the Carrera too. Jason started with the frame and forks and a few bits like the nuke proof hub, every thing else was left to me. He loved the red brake outer so that was kept for each build.

Yes, they are STI (XT) on the 2nd Salsa. They were the first pair of Mag20 in the country. XT Headset, Tioga BB, Dura ace chainset with 53 outer ring, 12-21 7sp cassette on an XT hub and Tioga DD, Grafton cantis with Scott Mathauser blocks. The brakes were a pain, too much travel in the levers (really could have done with V brake style levers but they weren't invented yet!) Jason wasn't too fussed about the brakes - he didn't apply them very often.

He really just rode what he was given, it changed constantly. I don't think I have any more pics but still remember the spec quite well.

Utterly cool bike, great history and lots if careful and very specific component collecting!

I'm in admiration of the effort and commitment for sure

I have enjoyed reading up the thread this far!

is drS using the jellybean paint from these new pics/old pics or from the frame as he recieved it? seems to me the bike has been fully repainted at sometime as the newer beans dont match.

absolutley loving the story unfolding with this, makes me wanna get another jmc tattoo lol

ride free

Guitar guy. Your frame looks ace! The jellybean on the black is cool.

And those shots from Hardisty look wicked too, I'm lead to believe one of my sister in laws 'saw' a lad that worked there when she was a lass.

salsa

Thanks originalshinkicker, I have pm'ed you ref pics. Hopefully I can use your pics to build it as you did

Update..

Finally got the frame back from Dr S but need to finish the paint. Hopefully in the next few months I may get it built.

yay, starting to get worried this had disappeared, eagerly
sat on the sofa edge awaiting pics :D

Back