Retro 80's/90's wheelset help/advice please.

davester1965

Dirt Disciple
I have just bought a wheelset for a restoration project i've got on the go.

The hubs are Shimano 600
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=204

and the rims are Mach by RODi (Portugal)

Two questions.....

Are the rims any good? as my plan is to have new rims laced to the hubs for Audax riding (Mach rims very narrow internally 14mm & i intend to ride 28 or 32 tyres)

The rear hub has an unsuitable uniglide cassette on it (13-21)
Will a standard HG 6/7 speed cassette go straight on? (the freehub does have internal threading?

Any help/advidce appreciated, Thanks Guys

I have them and using on my commuter. They are the reason why I'm going for tubular soon... Changing the tyre is real PITA. imagine that once I had a puncture in front wheel, I struggled 15 min to remove the tyre just to see that the tube was ripped almost in half and I didn't have a spare, just patches, so I put the tyre on went to nearest Halfords, bought spare tubes, struggling again 15 min to fit new tube, go and after 5 min rear wheel got puncture... everything in rain... I came to work 2 hours late. I was using Park levers. Later I bought new tyres (folding) and I couldn't even fit them on.
But maybe it's just only me. Apart from this I don't see any problem, true, straight, everything ok.

predki":2yb9wd5k said:
I have them and using on my commuter. They are the reason why I'm going for tubular soon... Changing the tyre is real PITA. imagine that once I had a puncture in front wheel, I struggled 15 min to remove the tyre just to see that the tube was ripped almost in half and I didn't have a spare, just patches, so I put the tyre on went to nearest Halfords, bought spare tubes, struggling again 15 min to fit new tube, go and after 5 min rear wheel got puncture... everything in rain... I came to work 2 hours late. I was using Park levers. Later I bought new tyres (folding) and I couldn't even fit them on.
But maybe it's just only me. Apart from this I don't see any problem, true, straight, everything ok.

Yes the rims run true with no major corrosion or rust, i'm just a bit concerned that running such narrow rims with 28/32 tyres will cause too many punctures.

Can't comment on the rims but you cannot fit a HG cassette on UG body. You will need to change the body (my recommendation) or find a suitable UG.

Predki great story, I can feel your pain, frustration and anger!!!

OP fatter tyres tend to be easier to fit....

You can fit an HG cassette on a UG body, but you need a file and patience to make the wide HG tab narrower. A pain of a job. Easier to buy UG cassettes.

I keep them but in 7 speed only 14-21T and 13-32T are available now and in 6 only the 13-18T corncobs are available.

So an HG cassette is a more practicle option.

bm0p700f":13eof8jl said:
You can fit an HG cassette on a UG body, but you need a file and patience to make the wide HG tab narrower. A pain of a job. Easier to buy UG cassettes.
eh? it was a 5 minute job for me. Dismantle the cassette and file each sprocket's tab.

I may be wrong here but I think the hub will take a hg cassette, check the link to velobase, and as I said in an earlier post it has internal thread as well as external. I will confirm at the weekend after I remove the cassette :D

Ah! Yes you are right if the thread has internal threading it does take a HG cassette! My apologies.

Back