Greedy People (eBay)

FluffyChicken":14t80hru said:
Bollocks, eBay provide a service either pay for it or feck off somewhere else. Don't be an arse and piss people off.
Why do people seem to not want to pay for things anymore, real physical auctions cost a lot as well, not just eBay auctions.

+1

Auction selling is a risk and I accept that, and sometimes I have chosen to take that risk. I always start at 99p if an item then goes no further than that I shrug my shoulders and say ahh well, if it goes for more than I bought it for, which has happened, I say he,he,he. both situations have occurred.

I think people should honour each sale after the auction ends regardless of what it sells for.

Alison

FluffyChicken":3uigih5r said:
Bollocks, eBay provide a service either pay for it or feck off somewhere else. Don't be an arse and piss people off.
Why do people seem to not want to pay for things anymore, real physical auctions cost a lot as well, not just eBay auctions.

Word.

I always start things at 99p. The things I think are high value i put a reserve on

I normally use 99p for two reasons, the high fee avoidance when a reserve is not used and aslo when people look at it they are tricked into believing it must be hot as loads of people want it even though it's taken loads of bids to get to 10 quid

Ebay is like gambling, if you can't afford to lose from time to time then your ideals are bigger than your pocket :LOL:

1210tech":1gbibuhp said:
GT-Steve":1gbibuhp said:
I've started stuff for 99p and its ended at 99p. I've been more than happy with that as its clutter I don't want. If you're gambling with a low start versus avoiding paltry listing fees then you should really accept the gamble. The difference in listing fees from a 99p start and a price you're happy with are surely worth more than the gamble of a 99p start, perhaps.

Zero insertion fees generally come round every fortnight, and then you can start at any price and not incur listing fees. Patience is rewarded.

Don't get me wrong I think ebay's far from perfect but £1.50 to list your item and be visible to the entire world isn't really that much of a huge expense is it?? That makes more sense if you step back and think about it.
Yeah Steve I agree, but what I'm trying to say is that if your item does end at 99p and you've spent £1.50 listing it and then also lost the true value of the item, because it had to be purchased in the first place, you're not gonna let it go and be out of pocket for the listing & the item.

I don't mind using eBay but its short sighted to be angry that you didn't get that item worth xxx, whatever it is, for virtually nothing.

Then start the auction at £5 or whatever you'll be happy with. Bollocks to the business strategy of the bloke down the Hood and Staff who's going to make his millions on Ebay.

...I have sold on Ebay pretty much since it was set up in the UK. To get the best out of it, it is worth remembering a few key things:

1. Be careful what time of day you list your item. If you have a day off work, and a big clearout and list a load of stuff on Ebay at 11am on a Tueday, then on a normal 7 day auction your item will end at the same time the following week (when a majority of folks are at work). I generally list my auctions to end between 7-9pm on a Monday-Thursday (Friday and Saturday night auctions definitely get less people on them)

2. As a number of other peeps have said, if you are not willing to let your item go for 99p, then list it with a higher starting price, a reserve price or list it as a Buy It Now - that way at least you have some control on what you get. You may think it is worth £gazillion, but the market will dictate the true value.

3. Make use of all the characters in the item description. I always list mine with 'UK 100% SELLER' at the end - and my conversion rate (views/watching) definitely improved since I started doing it. For the record my feedback is 100% positive.

4. Be as descriptive and honest as you can in the listing. We have all seen the examples on here of a nice bike, badly listed and it selling for silly money as it is not easily found. Spelling mistakes are a killer!

Just my 2 pence/cents....

Ade

Back