Bolthole on forks sheared: Mudguard idea's

Thaumaturge

Devout Dirtbag
Some scumbag had my front mudguard away the other day, and must have been halfway through relieving me of the rear, as the nut was gone and it was just hanging on the bolt (how the hell did they know it was the owner returning?). In the process they seem to have screwed the thread on the fork such that it wont take a bolt anymore. I thought about drilling through the hole but the front of the fork brace is curved and it would really spoil the look. I don't want a crud catcher as that really would look crap with my frame. Is there some sort of socket i could insert by redrilling the knackered hole.. inserting socket whicch would then take a bolt?

There is but i wouldn't be confident of doing a good job rethreading it.. been looking at anchor bolts and such.. seems to be lots of hardware that would do something like this, not exactly sure what i'm looking for though. I've got abt 15 depth to play with, old hole was prob 4mmØ..

Can't you just run a tap through it to clean the threads up? Unless the thread is completely stripped I'd have thought that you'd get away with doing this.
Or just drill it out clearance and use a longer bolt with a nut on the back?

Hi, as i say i did think about drilling completely through but am reluctant on aesthetic grounds. The thread doesn't look completely sheared so maybe your tap idea would work? What would i be looking for to do this? I think the bolt is 4mm.. i'm pretty cluelesss about ironmongery and fixings. Would i need a specific pitch or are they all standard for bolts?

EDIT: remembered i had a small old tap set, turns out that the thread is truly w@nked. The old bolt now almost slides in and out.

You could always put a nut on the other side, or drill and tap it to take an M6 bolt, which is a common touring modification anyway.

I can helicoil it for you.
I'd drill out old thread oversize, tap out with special tap, fit new spring thread back to the original size, probably M5 x0.8.
Happy to do it for the karma, just cover the postage.
PM if interested.

All the best,

Danson67, that is a very generous offer thank you. I've watched a few utube video's on tapping though and think i should be able to drill and tap it larger. As the original hole was really too small anyway a larger bore would be no bad thing. Thanks everyone for the advise :)

Back