mixte / step-through frames - who made good ones?

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been promising the missus a nice bike for ages, so I'd better get round to it! She's not a cyclist, so wants something nice and comfortable for short, leisurely rides and nothing more.

So I want a mixte type frame, preferably of decent quality. She wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a gas-pipe frame or one made of 753, but I would!

Something with standard BB, headset, seatpost and OLN dimensions - nothing with weird proprietary threads or anything like that (Raleigh?)

Can anyone recommend me a make to look out for, or which ones to avoid?

I have a feeling gazelle do some good ones, but I'm not sure - I might just be imagining it!

Thanks, Andy

foz":1nkgwa5w said:
I've been promising the missus a nice bike for ages... She wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a gas-pipe frame or one made of 753, but I would!

She'd be able to tell. A heavy bike is a heavy bike, no matter how experienced the rider.
That said, if 90% of her riding is likely to be on the flat, the Linus Mixte 3 rolls really nicely. 3-speed hub gear, dead simple. Used one for a few days to get around Manhattan & Brooklyn, it put a huge smile on my face.

LinusMixte3-1.jpg

N/B":3ri259ov said:
She'd be able to tell. A heavy bike is a heavy bike, no matter how experienced the rider.
Oh tosh. We're not talking about comparing an omafiets to a 7kg carbon racer! The difference in frame weight between a common reasonable-quality Raleigh '18-23' or Peugeot carbolite mixte frame and the (extremely lovely) rare Harry Hall 531c racing mixte is going to be about half a kilo, or about 3.5% the weight of a 14kg bike. Considering what this bike is going to be used for, it's about the weight of a nice sandwich in your bar bag - you certainly wouldn't notice that on a gentle ride!

About five years ago I built up a 1980s Raleigh Caprice for my fiancée; she has used it for 50/60 mile rides and overnight trips with no problems. The whole bike weighs about 14kg, that's with the 3sp hub and steel rack (although I upgraded everything else to modern alu bits). With that in mind, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a 531-framed bike - it'd be nice, but it's in no way essential even for long rides. Plus 18-23 or carbolite tubing is considerably more dent-resistant than 531c!

when comparing gas-pipe to 753 I was only indicating that I'd like to find a decent frame from a decent manufacturer, not a BSO from the local supermarket! a kilo or two here or there will not make a bit of difference, and I'm planning on mudguards, rear rack, chainguard, etc. anyway.

Fairly sure that at least one of the decent Dawes touring models (Horizon??) came in a 531 mixte version.

David

Yeah I'd say 18-23 Raleighs and carbolite Pugs are probably a bit better built than most older town bikes, Peugeots especially; carbolites are still gaspipe in bike-geek terms, but it's the top end of gaspipe! I had a Peugeot carbolite frame and it was really nice - and the chrome was excellent quality, too.

I think the Dawes Galaxy also came in 531st tubing. This would make a lovely bike.

In terms of ride quality, your tyres will make a far bigger difference than your frame. If you like the idea of 650b wheels, the frame's got the clearance and you can work out what brakes you'll need, the 650b Grand Bois Hetre is supposed to be about the most comfortable and smooth tyre ever made, as seen on this rather handsome Surly:
6775639203_acde27ffd8_z.jpg

thanks for the tips. I've seen a corratec "ladies" mtb near me that might be a good starting point. 26" wheels, full braze ons, and it appears to have an STX RC groupset on it. not quite what I was thinking of, but probably more practical!

Holy enormous low quality pics, Batman :shock:

The Raleigh Richmond mixte is 531 and very light. 27" wheels.

There's a woman's Motobecane standing outside, locked to a poste, close to where I live. It's still in use and in a great shape... For a long time I'm already thinking of putting a paper on it, to ask if the owner wants to sell it. Would be a great gift for my girlfriend, and maybe make up a little bit for her rage on my collection :p

It's a lovely bike, as in this picture: http://tinypic.com/r/xol0sz/6.

Vitus 172 tubing, shifters on the stem, a nice shiny green metallic colour with darkbrown decals and centerpull brakes....

Back