Bike shops

I am surprised that no one has mentioned a coffee machine! Or even a kettle, mugs, a jar of coffee (Dowe Egberts of course), some milk, sugar (for those who like that) and a spoon to stir.

I will not re-iterate the previous comments about customer service - common sense should tell you that. Ian's comment is very valid - it is about expectation - i did a course recently and this was mentioned in passing, i believe it is very important - if you are doing a job for someone and it will take 3 weeks, tell them 3 weeks - and do it in 3 weeks. They may think that 3 weeks is too long and that is fine, but if it takes 3 weeks and 1 day - they will be unhappy, give customers realistic timescales and they will have no opportunity to complain. I would rather wait a little longer on something that is done right and i think most people would agree with that. Am i rambling again?? I'll get my coat ....

The very best of luck with your adventure/venture Tel. I might visit one day - and i will expect coffee!!!

Best of luck with your venture, sounds ideal!!

as already said, lots of lovely 2nd hand components, lots of advice & answers and if your located as you have described, somewhere out of town, then a pull-in for all the local guys to stop for coffee & cake mid-ride. that'll keep the pennies ticking over and a bigger fanbase will soon hear about it and your place becomes a local hub (no pun intended) for the local club-runs.
gives everyone an extra excuse to call in if there's a hot brew on offer.

Both the posts above raise a good point- added extras.

A friend of mine owns a greengrocers. He's doing OK, but always looking to do better, and realised that there was passing trade for simple food. It started with toast and hot chocolate for the kids walking to school and has now become a deli with sandwiches and other items, he is even adding local cheeses and cooked meat (needless to say he has all the relevant certificates). His takings have shot through the roof.

The point is, by adding to his 'stock in trade' and taking a step sideways, he has increased his customer base. People who don't buy vegetables (passing school kids) will buy a bacon sandwich or toast and hot chocolate.

Good luck with the shop Tel.

I can partly guess the feel of shop you're going for from your Sargent example, and know of a few shops in London and LA that already have a similarly relaxed vibe - Tokyo Fixed, Look Mum No Hands, Golden Saddle Cyclery and Orange 20.

These shops capitalise on being within a buzzing community - being central to local cycling events, organising or attending races (though not in an EPO-mainlining wannabe Pro way) and generally doing fun stuff.
They have to work hard to keep their image fresh, and invite like-minded folks to collaborate with them on nice little road-cycling trinkets like hats, tees, bottles and musettes.
Sounds a bit cheesy I know, but as many of the retro-centric cycling brands around today have shown, you can move forward whilst practically standing still.

Beware of making the shop look like a museum. Put too many things high up on the wall, or behind glass, and nobody will buy them. It's totally fine (cool, even) to have a few 'Not For Sale' bits stuck up, especially memorabilia or old jerseys, but the stuff you want to sell should be clearly within the customer's grasp, or marked with a price if it's in a display case.
Personally, I effing hate it when display items have no price on them, particularly with NOS - there's often the sneaking suspicion that the shopkeeper is going to make up the price based on the customer's accent, appearance, etc. It happens.

You likely know about some of these already, but here they are anyway.

http://www.lookmumnohands.com/
http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/
http://goldensaddlecyclery.com/
http://orange20bikes.com/

Definitely worth setting up a Tumblr and/or Instagram account for your own shop too.
Nostalgia feeds off imagery, just check out http://pedalarepedalare.tumblr.com/ for evidence of that.
You could also entertain the idea (if you like) of doing custom retro builds for clients rather like Andy White of Fyxomatosis.

Tel,

I have an idea, and i know you have plenty to keep you occupied. Instead of pictures on the walls etc. what about a couple of digital photoframes which have pics of your bikes and bits in a slide show.

Only a though, don't forget the coffee!!!

Richard

It has been mentioned but I will do it again.
Somewhere to lock your bike when in the shop.
There are 13 bike shops with 20 miles of me and none of them have even a small ring in the wall to lock the bike to. 1 has a lamp post outside but that means blocking the pavement.
Pathetic. Without exception you have to lean the bike against the glass as well!
Keep some very cheap tools for local kids to borrow. You know a complete tool kit from the pound shop.

How about a notice board with a polite notice on it asking people not to conflcit with your stock and also a quid to charity to post.

I call by 2 shops with notice boards at leat weekly just to see whats on the board. I almost alway then buy something from the shop.
Get links to a club, small discounts if you can afford to and maybe even sub a "team" shirt.
Get in with a gym.

I know a couple of bike shops near me that do quite a bit of business with people that go to spinning classes at the gym (is it called "spinning" in the UK? indoor cycling on static bikes, in case it's not!)

clothes and mtb type shoes mainly, but maybe drinks and bike food too.

And while it might be out of your control a bit, try and make sure that your suppliers are fast and have an updated stock list - it really bugs me when I go to the LBS and ask about a part, they look at the supplier's online stock and it's there, so they order it, and then it takes ages and ages to turn up because the supplier doesn't have any, or their understanding of "in stock" means that they are, in a warehouse in taiwan... it's not the shop's fault, but I know a lot of people would think it is.

I think we all need to know where this shop is going to be? Get a load of tea bags and get the kettle on :)

Good luck with it Tel, one of my friends has just something similar, in Middleton, Manchester.

He has a good idea of the target market in that area (BSOs and easy fixes like replacing tubes). He has only been going a couple of months but is rocking through the work because he:
1) doesn't rip people off
2) is a good people person
3) has only failed to fix one bike so far (and that was one that most of us would have looked at and just walked away from)

The siting of his shop is also fortunate, being right next to a motorbike shop.

Back