Fond memories of childhood

i keep skimming past this thread but one of my few good memories is being picked up by my dad and sitting in the back of his morris minor traveller, going on days out eating cakes & sweets.
it was a nice break from all the drunken rows.

I remember about 8, we had a group of us with bikes that we called ourselves the fortune flyers. This was largely based on one of the group on a chopper trying to do a full 360 off a ramp and ending up on his head...happy days

1979 Swimming in the settling pond on a summers Sunday afternoon at Shirebrook Pit, Full of idiots though no one ever drowned!

I was born and brought up in London. I dislike everything about cities and always have, so my fondest childhood memories are the long summers spent with my grandparents on the Isle of Mull.

Being about 6 I think an me and my dad making a ramp in the back garden, I asked my dad to show me how to do it... Being a good dad he didn't want to let me down.. His specialized hard rock was in the bike shop for something or other so he went over it on my mums old Raleigh shopper!

The rear mudguard caught the back edge of the ramp (it wasn't really enough space to jump properly) so my dad had to straighten the mud guard... We didn't tell my mum for weeks as our secret until we all went out on bikes and my mum asked why the paint was falling off her mudguard.

A silly little story but one that always makes me smile.

Arr childhood ramps
When we were small kids me and my brother had matching ral boxers
and used to build brick ramps in the alley. we build a stupidly high one(maybe 8 bricks) I bottled it and my brother tryed it the bricks collapsed
but he landed sort of sideway bounced of a wall and was ok :?

And also when we got a bit older we started BMX racing, one day while practicing my dad tryed the whoops on my bros bike :roll: didnt make it crashed and when my bro saw the big decal scratch on his dimond back viper he started crying and chasing my dad round mad as hell :LOL:

Good thread -

One bike related memory - i was about 7 at the time and had a large second hand tricycle with pneumatic tyres. As i hurtled down the hill past our house the frame broke in the middle - the handlebars and front wheel went forwards and i held onto them, my arse went backwards and my face went straight to the tarmac as i continued down the hill. I remember fondly the thoughts that went through my head when the actual frame broke - the confusion in my mind as to what had happened and then the realisation that it was going to hurt!!! The joy of youth...

My dentist memory was in 1973ish - i was around 5 when i went to hospital to get 6 teeth out as they were obstructing my new teeth from coming up. I was gassed and got them out and i remember stopping at a sweet shop (i think it was called Mackle's in Portadown) to get ice cream with my Dad on the way home.

There seems to be a dental theme, i presume it is the pian associated with dentists that make the memories stick, i have plenty of gruesome dental stories and not many teeth left!!!

When i was about 5/6 getting in the car (wolsley 1440)and driving to scotland we left about ten on a friday night and got to my aunts house in Dundee about five the next day !! remember stoping for breakfast by the side of the road somewhere ,, we had corn flakes :D
No m25 then, and we had to go through the center of london, and getting lost for about thirty minutes :LOL: Funny though i cant remember a thing about the drive home :? Good times

Mick :D

One of my fondest memories was having a backie on the back of my older brothers chopper - that doesn't read too well lol.
Anyway I was around seven and my brother promised he wouldn't go down the "big" hill by where we lived. He only went down it - got half way down when me panicking shook my brother saying I want to stop. We hit the kerb and slid for 20 odd metres on knees and elbows. I can still remember picking bits of gravel out my elbow and knees - Happy days.

I can also remember me and my best mate pretending to be stunt men and hanging one handed off the railings of a road bridge. Going back there now gives me a shudder as its about 10 metre high down to a road passing underneath.

lots of cycling memories aged 5 or 6. All good now, but at the time, some were good, others not so.

I was 2nd best in my club at BMX racing. The kid who was best had all the best equipment etc, richer folks than me, although I had a custom DP. 1 race, and only 1 against him. I won, by a tyre width. I headed for the 1st place tyre on the left, and he was so used to going there he ran me off the course :LOL:

Others were offs, getting the mini traveller stuck in the mud etc.

Non cycling was playing with my sister, outside our apartment in Holland.

I won't go into the worst childhood memory, but I suspect and hope it will be the worst memory of my life.

Latest posts

Back