1990 Lava Dome

B77

Senior Retro Guru
Been after one of these for a long time now, doesn't seem like it's seen much use, absolutely a joy to ride, I'd forgotten how aglile these were. The big question is do the original brakes stay on or do the set of HS33s I've had waiting for it get fitted ?

Thanks to Bigplinky.

IMG_2107_zps7ca0158e.jpg

IMG_2105_zps4a6dbac9.jpg

IMG_2110_zps4bc553d3.jpg

Love the arse end of these, don't know why.....

That looks fantastic - and I'm not usually a fan of blackwall tyres but those really suit it. I didn't realise they made white Lava Domes, I thought they were yellow or red? Yours looks like a Cinder Cone without the splatter.

Lovely looking bike at any rate. Aren't its current brakes any good? Why do you want to change them?

I didn't realise they made white Lava Domes, I thought they were yellow or red? Yours looks like a Cinder Cone without the splatter.

The white finish was a limited edition. I had one BITD. It was my first serious MTB bought from Covent Garden Cycles to replace a Raleigh Maverick. :shock:

Oh happy days.

one_bad_mofo":2hcjqt45 said:
The white finish was a limited edition. I had one BITD. It was my first serious MTB bought from Covent Garden Cycles to replace a Raleigh Maverick. :shock:

Thanks - I was thinking this was too clean and the wrong colour, so must be a respray. I stand corrected, and now I like it even more! Always a nice memory thinking about where you bought your first serious bike...

Nice ride. Always wanted one back in the day.

It's a tough call on the maguras. Are they the yellow ones? Love the look of these brakes but not sure whether they maybe a bit much for this bike? Your choice though mate. I'm sure they would look good.

Nice to see it back together so quickly :D

I like the brakes on it because the X-1 logo theme runs through the whole bike (the front pads could do with better washers).

Enjoy

P.S. While I'm thinking about it the back wheel is freshly built so will need a tweek after a few rides when it beds in.

Rich34":sszkm5bp said:
Lovely looking bike at any rate. Aren't its current brakes any good? Why do you want to change them?

Thanks for the kind words gents.

The brakes, back when I had a Lava Dome I rode a mates Saracen Ltd Ed which he had fitted the first (?) hydrostops to and was really impressed and started saving for some, then the Proflex 550 came out so I px'ed the Kona for the Proflex, which I regretted almost immediately. The X-1s work fine though and look right so I'll probably keep them on but I did pick up a set of HS33s especially for when I found a good L/D.....

@Bigplinky, rode it solidly all day yesterday and will be tweaking the wheel this morning before I spend all day on it again :D

Just found these...

http://cgi.ebay.fr/NOS-Suntour-Xpress-7 ... 042wt_1127

So it may get treated to new shifters, the left one is a bit crunchy.

Lovely, was expecting to be a lone voice liking the blackwalls and tyres etc but it seems not, love all round :cool: Reckon they help focus you on the lovely condition of the frame instead.

Stick with the brakes I think, they should work just fine and suit perfectly.

Back