A 3Rensho with a story

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
For the third look inside my bicycle garage I offer a somewhat rare bike with a good back-story. The bike is a 1983 3Rensho Standard with a rather unspectacular Shimano 600 group. 3Renshos are not particularly rare, even if they are fine bikes, but this one is unusual because it was made for the domestic Japanese market. An American who was teaching English in Tokyo and needed transportation purchased the bike bringing it home when she returned. Fast forward two decades and I am at a garage sale chatting with two nice ladies when I ask if they had any bikes. The younger one said she had a bike that used to have those funny glue on tires. Next thing I know she rolls out the 3Rensho pictured here. A little negotiating, a trip to the ATM and the bike was mine.

The unparalleled craftsmanship on 3Renshos make the brand special. The hand cut spear point lugs and flawless brazing create a beautiful machine. For those not familiar with 3Rensho it is the creation of master frame builder Yoshi Konno who built frames largely for Keirin track racing in Japan. The track models are highly prized and carry a hefty price tag which is fine with me because I prefer road bikes. One last note, 3Rensho became very popular in the 80s and Yoshi Konno eventually stopped brazing frames himself. So an early frame like this one is more likely to have been built by Mr. Konno.

The first pictures show the bike as it arrived, followed by pictures of it after a good cleaning.

Attachments

• 3Rensho Standard 4 web.jpg
    3Rensho Standard 4 web.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,698
  • 3Rensho Standard 3 web.jpg
    3Rensho Standard 3 web.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,698
  • 3Rensho Standard 2 web.jpg
    3Rensho Standard 2 web.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,698
  • 3Rensho Standard 1 web.jpg
    3Rensho Standard 1 web.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,699
  • 1983 3Rensho seat lug web.jpg
    1983 3Rensho seat lug web.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,699
  • 3Rensho sm.jpg
    3Rensho sm.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,699
Thanks for the nice comments.

The saddle is something special but if you look closely it is not original to this bike which had a suede Jaguar Areo when new. But in a tremendous stroke of luck I bought a Schwinn Paramount around the same time that came with the 3rensho saddle. Swapping was a no-brainer. The last time a 3Rensho saddle came up on eBay it sold for over $200 usd.

yo-Nate-y":hvmct7mg said:
That's really great. I love the color too.

Nice!

Likewise. This is truly an understated, elegant bicycle you have here. How does it ride? I must profess that I'm really enjoying this 'virtual tour' of your collection, lewisfoto, you have a very fine collection indeed - do keep 'em coming ;).

Back