Greedy People (eBay)

Bollocks, eBay provide a service either pay for it or feck off somewhere else. Don't be an arse and piss people off.
Why do people seem to not want to pay for things anymore, real physical auctions cost a lot as well, not just eBay auctions.

I've started stuff for 99p and its ended at 99p. I've been more than happy with that as its clutter I don't want. If you're gambling with a low start versus avoiding paltry listing fees then you should really accept the gamble. The difference in listing fees from a 99p start and a price you're happy with are surely worth more than the gamble of a 99p start, perhaps.

Zero insertion fees generally come round every fortnight, and then you can start at any price and not incur listing fees. Patience is rewarded.

Don't get me wrong I think ebay's far from perfect but £1.50 to list your item and be visible to the entire world isn't really that much of a huge expense is it?? That makes more sense if you step back and think about it.

GT-Steve":2y58b5ua said:
I've started stuff for 99p and its ended at 99p. I've been more than happy with that as its clutter I don't want. If you're gambling with a low start versus avoiding paltry listing fees then you should really accept the gamble. The difference in listing fees from a 99p start and a price you're happy with are surely worth more than the gamble of a 99p start, perhaps.

Zero insertion fees generally come round every fortnight, and then you can start at any price and not incur listing fees. Patience is rewarded.

Don't get me wrong I think ebay's far from perfect but £1.50 to list your item and be visible to the entire world isn't really that much of a huge expense is it?? That makes more sense if you step back and think about it.

Yeah Steve I agree, but what I'm trying to say is that if your item does end at 99p and you've spent £1.50 listing it and then also lost the true value of the item, because it had to be purchased in the first place, you're not gonna let it go and be out of pocket for the listing & the item.

I don't mind using eBay but its short sighted to be angry that you didn't get that item worth xxx, whatever it is, for virtually nothing.

1210tech":3pz737e3 said:
GT-Steve":3pz737e3 said:

Yeah Steve I agree, but what I'm trying to say is that if your item does end at 99p and you've spent £1.50 listing it and then also lost the true value of the item, because it had to be purchased in the first place, you're not gonna let it go and be out of pocket for the listing & the item.

I don't mind using eBay but its short sighted to be angry that you didn't get that item worth xxx, whatever it is, for virtually nothing.

But its true value was what it sold for.
Then do not use 99p listing, simple.

FluffyChicken":1o0abtfn said:
[But its true value was what it sold for.

Not necessarily, the value also depends on other factors such as demand, you might not get a buyer for an item because there isn't a want for it, but you could then re-list and be inundated with bids that ends up in the item selling for more than its actually worth.

I see people moaning a lot about the 'item selling for 99p' debate, but ive never once heard anyone moan that they spent listing fees on an item that didn't even sell.

An item will sell for whatever a person (or people) are willing to spend, if you don't want to sell for 99p, spend a few extra pence on a higher starting price.

1210tech":lot0ouek said:
FluffyChicken":lot0ouek said:
[But its true value was what it sold for.

Not necessarily, the value also depends on other factors such as demand, you might not get a buyer for an item because there isn't a want for it, but you could then re-list and be inundated with bids that ends up in the item selling for more than its actually worth.
Again either auction it properly, with the correct safe guards put in place or set a BIN best offer and sell like in a shop. Everything is there to get what value the seller is looking for.

If your item doesn't sell for what you wanted then mark it as dispatched but don't send it. When the buyer contacts you to say it hasn't turned up, you refund them!!! Just to make it clear, I've never done this (I don't sell on ebay) and I'm not saying anyone should, but I'm pretty certain it's been done to me!!!

If it sells for 99p that's what it was worth. Yes, it might have been worth more next week but them's the breaks. IME 99p start prices generally yield higher final prices than starting at a price somewhere near what you think something's worth -- low start gets interest.

FluffyChicken":3tccwzti said:
Bollocks, eBay provide a service either pay for it or feck off somewhere else. Don't be an arse and piss people off.
Why do people seem to not want to pay for things anymore, real physical auctions cost a lot as well, not just eBay auctions.
+1

Back