On one fatty

I've been thinking of ways to make a fatty suspenion fork.

You could in theory get a Monster T bottom crown and shim it to take Z1 stanchions. You would have to fabricate a bespoke CNC arch to cover the distance assuming that the monster T one wouldn't fit the Z1 lower legs.

I think you would need 130mm stanchions and add a a larger bottom out bumper to stop the tyre fouling the underside of the crown.

Would this work? Am I a genius?!

There are a few suspension options already out there; The Maverick forks work and have just about enough clearance for a 4" tyre. Then there's the chap on the MTBR forum who is machining clamps which allow older Lefty's to be used with an offset wheel.

The only fat specific fork at the minute is this as fitted to the Sandman bikes - http://www.german-a.de/shop/index.php?r ... duct_id=87
It looks to be a good option and you would expect that, considering the price tag, but I know little about the brand and it requires a new front hub as well. I want to see a bit of competition and other options from Fox et al before I part with that sort of cash.

Hope, Middleburn and Chris King are all now making fat products so it should only be a matter of time before the suspension companies join the party :cool:

6'3'' with annoyingly long legs , could probably do to drop the post by an inch might get a reverb eventually). Anyone up this way are more then welcome to have a spin on it.

jskdog":1two24xu said:
6'3'' with annoyingly long legs , could probably do to drop the post by an inch might get a reverb eventually). Anyone up this way are more then welcome to have a spin on it.

can i borrow it tomorrow then ;)

looks ace buddy :D

Looks ace.

What's the gearing? Hear there may still be on one issues with regards chainsuck/clearance which I hope isn't true.

Clearances are really good, someone has fitted a 4.7" tyre on it, plenty of chain clearance as well. A few people have changed to a double up front which I might do so I can stick a 22 tooth granny ring on but so far gearing is spot on. The only downside is I've not been out on it much :(

Back