How much tolerance in a seat pin?

Apollonius

Dirt Disciple
I recently bought a very nice bundle of stuff which includes a 26,2mm seatpin. Obviously 531 butted is 27.2. Should I crunch up the pinchbolt or get looking for a seatpin that fits perfectly?

Tell me more. Whatare these shim of which you speak? OK, I know it is a thin thing that takes up unwanted space, but can you just buy them or is it a case of using bits of beer can or something. 1mm is not a lot!

Wouldn't have thought you would find a ready made shim from that size.
Most shim from the standard sizes 25.0 for USE some 25.4 for old 1"
then 27.2 to larger seatpost size and then the fatter standard sizes...
You may find some 26.8 to larger sizes as well.

But 27.2 is a common standard size, I would go looking for that and not a shim.

P.S. It's not 1mm but actually 0.5mm you are shimming with it being round.

You could probably bodge a 25.4 to 26.4 seatpost shim to fit with a bit of bending.

That seems Ok, but none of those seem to be expanding a 26.2 to a 27.2. It also seems a bit "messy". This is just a bundle of stuff I bought for the frame - a Viking Severn Valley just like the one I was bought for passing my O levels way back when. It came with some bits including a rattly seatpin 1mm too small. Looks like I will not be using that when I built the retrobike of my dreams. Yes, just another old man trying to turn back time....

27.2 seatpost are common, I would just start to look for proper stuff.
And now nor something completely different ;) do you have any pictures of your bikes from your signature, especially that Sid Mottram? What is serial number? Sorry for off topic, but there are not many around and it happen that I have one :)

Viking Severn Valley was launched (well it's second incarnation) at the Harrogate show 1978. The show ones had the new Campag Gran Sport Ensemble (wasn't called a groupset then).................

Very nice :D

Shaun

PS best to find a 27.2 seat post.

Back