Keralite Pinarello

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, does anyone have any info about the Pinarello Keralite frames used by Indurain and Riis in '96?
I believe they were an aluminium and steel mixed tube set, but not used after 97? all advice about buying / riding one of these appreciated! :)

bikenut2010":3hp6jkdq said:
Hi, does anyone have any info about the Pinarello Keralite frames used by Indurain and Riis in '96?
I believe they were an aluminium and steel mixed tube set, but not used after 97? all advice about buying / riding one of these appreciated! :)

Some stuff here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... kes-34375/

Seems the material was a metal matrix, i.e. aluminium alloy plus hard non-metallic material such as alumina or ceramics finely dispersed through the alloy.

David

dbmtb":1ih08d9l said:
As far as I know, Riis was riding rebadged Pegorettis round that time....
I saw that mentioned too, from google translate on a danish forum...

'Riis well as Indurain rode TDF 06 on a Pinarello keralite. An aluminum frame with some form of keramsk coating. Moser and others had similar experiments in the range of 96th ...'

We'll see how it rides :)

I used to have the 94 Pinarello catalogue floating around - I do remember they had 2 alloy frames - a 7020 Oria frame and the same frame as a "Ceramic" MM frame. AFAIK these were the same frames that other brands were badging up - Cougar certainly had the same 2 frames in their range and my Wilier 7020 is identical apart from the paint.

Alloy didn't catch on for road bikes until Pantani won. Even Principia bikes were less visible on their native market than steel frames up till then.

Closest to a Telekom replica you got in the Riis years was a quickly chucked together Faggin Oria Hi-ten frame that my old boss at Jupiter had done in Pink and white. The Pinarello importer of the time (another former boss - just later) had already bought in and making up a Pinarello Telekom edition was just not viable in the timeframe. For sure - nobody bought alloy Pinarellos until the Paris.

dbmtb":1f8u5ja5 said:
I used to have the 94 Pinarello catalogue floating around - I do remember they had 2 alloy frames - a 7020 Oria frame and the same frame as a "Ceramic" MM frame. AFAIK these were the same frames that other brands were badging up - Cougar certainly had the same 2 frames in their range and my Wilier 7020 is identical apart from the paint.

Alloy didn't catch on for road bikes until Pantani won. Even Principia bikes were less visible on their native market than steel frames up till then.

saw this also:

'Riis' bike in 1996 was a Pinarello. It was Pinarellos first real aluminum frame, it was called Keral-Lite and was - contrary to what fool Werge write - actually not characterized by the distinctive oversized tubes, one or see on American-built frames as Cannondale and Klein. Pinerelloen looked so most of all a classic steel frame. Indurain and most of the Banesto team drove incidentally also in Keral-Lite. Incidentally, it is true, as is written elsewhere that Tyler Hamilton was built Parlee frame flown in for the tour 2002, when he was very dissatisfied with the heavy and sluggish Look cycles.'

The ceramic one is the frame I just bought, it has columbus brain forks whch I think is the same spec as the Riis bike from a trawl on t'internet. Noted threaded steerer also...
i'll get it sorted and put up some pics :) thanks a lot for the info!

PS found this link on TdF bike weights...
http://felixwong.com/2010/11/tour-de-fr ... e-weights/

Latest posts

Back