Books

Raging_Bulls":3gyvnipd said:
I read "The zombie survival guide" and "World war Z" in order to prepare for december 21st.

The survival guide is next to me as I type. On the bog. Always prepared.

Another vote for Patrick O'Brian here, read half of his books over the past decade and a half and enjoyed every one of them... learned quite a lot very painlessly too!

If you like historical fiction, what about the Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom? By far my favourites in that genre.

The soldier: A History of Courage, Sacrifice and Brotherhood.

blazend across the cover is my name xmas mothers an ebay :roll:

kaiser":1yyfiso0 said:
For crime I'd say James Ellroy is hard to beat. Start with the LA quartet then move onto the Underworld trilogy.

Could fire in a few Dennis Lehane books as well, nerv been dissapointed when I've picked one up.

Both writers are superb, hard to put down.

American Tabloid is a classic.

Pyro Tim":1x2qk8e6 said:
I like reading anything by Bernard Cornwall. Just read his latest, 1356, which is the latest book on a series about an English archer, during the 100 years war. He also wrote the Sharpe books, a series about King Arthur, and some others

I've read a few of his books, Azincourt is bloody good, also the Warlord chronicles which were good too, Rebel wasn't half as good though. I do love the 'fake history' of his stories

I'm reading 'Slaying the Badger' at the moment, a very good account of the 1986 TdF with lots of very interesting background on Lemond and Hinault too, certainly recommended.

Some other books I've read recently which I would recommend...

The Junior Officers' Reading Club - Patrick Hennessey - Inside the head of a junior officer in Afghanistan

The Dirt - The rather alarming, entertaining and utterly bonkers story of Motley Crue, amazing read.

Slash - The autobiography - Slash of Guns 'n' Roses telling it like it was, awesome!

Back