Eddy Merckx Professional 1985

bigkahoona

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, this is my '85 Eddy Merckx Professional. Got this a few months ago from a lad, whose father originally bought it. It's been in their garage for almost 20 years without being ridden a single inch. The only parts I changed were saddle, bar tape, brake levers, cables and tires.
I disassembled the whole thing, cleaned, polished and greased all parts, because it was covered in dust and dirt. It has the whole Dura Ace 7400 group set apart from the brake levers, which are Shimano 600. Stem and bars are Cinelli. My personal highlight is the golden framing of the frame decals, so lovely!

Cheers,
Chris

large_large_merckx2.jpg

large_large_DSC_0753.JPG

That is a beauty.

I have very fond memories of my Merckx (Corsa Extra)-it rode superbly. I liked it so much I had it resprayed. I was then reluctant to ride it, to avoid spoiling the shiny paint work -aagghh! :roll:

Will you be riding this stunner, or admiring and polishing it, to keep it immaculate?

David

Thanks! I built it in September 2012 and already rode it a few times - till winter came. Road bikes are new to me and from my little experience so far I can tell, I like it! So it will see many miles :)
Let's see how the white parts will look like in one year :D
On the other hand, I'm caring for my bicycles, they get cleaned and greased after each ride.

@fatfixie: thanks! Glad it did :)
Good luck and have fun with your refurb! Hope to see pics soon!

That's a very nice bike. But I'm biased as I have two of them, one Reynolds 531 and the other in SL.

They make for a great ride and corner like they're on rails. After buying the Columbus one I won't ride anything else.

I like it all but my highlight is the white concor saddle

how many cogs on the freewheel? it appears to have the brake pads of 6s DA and the rear derailleur of the 8s

Thanks all!

how many cogs on the freewheel? it appears to have the brake pads of 6s DA and the rear derailleur of the 8s
It's 8 speed. The seller told me that it was originally set up with a full campa groupset, that got replaced with the Dura Ace 7400 a few years later. It also had the STI shifter. Maybe bits of it got mixed up :LOL:

I like it all but my highlight is the white concor saddle
I hope it stays white for some time ;)

But I'm biased as I have two of them, one Reynolds 531 and the other in SL.
This one is a Columbus SL frame and I absolutely agree, it's a phenomenal ride! It begs to get tortured :cool:

Back