1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

That's nice. I occasionally feel the urge for a rear U brake bike. That would really confuse the 'radical knarly dudes' where I ride. They struggle badly enough with cantilevers!

letmetalktomark":1kgx37zk said:
My first "proper bike" was one of these - Although I thought mine was a blue and white fade.

I bought it from its original owner in the early 90's.

By that time it had had canti tabs and bridge brazed on by Argos in Bristol (may explain the colour change).

Mine ran full XT and when one to sport a rather natty (applied by brush) yellow paint job and wait ..... Kona decals.

Its on my list of this to replicate - sans Kona decals :LOL:

Only pic I have is this one from 1995(?) excuse the postet note I cannot find the original pic to rescan :LOL:

SCAN0004.jpg

Ahhh, I remember the old days, when grass was grass and not marshland.

I'm wondering nowadays whether film actually made things look drier and warmer than Pegamixels do.

derailled":e86261fi said:
I have one of these [same paint]less wheels so great to see such a nice example here.
Its rough and rusty compared to yours.
I thought it was an 89; so good to get some more accurate dating.
Have you got a frame number there?
Have the rims got a pin stripe or a pressed ridge alongside the spoke nipple holes? Black Rims were standard???
I did not have a stem but can see what it should have now.

jimo746":e86261fi said:
what tyres are those? Specialized Crossroads?

I'll check the next time I have the bike out, it's at the back of the shed right now waiting for the full restoration work to begin :)

Back