Books

B77

Senior Retro Guru
So what do people read or are reading or have read ?

Any recommendations not partitilarly on the subject of cycling.

I like reading anything by Bernard Cornwall. Just read his latest, 1356, which is the latest book on a series about an English archer, during the 100 years war. He also wrote the Sharpe books, a series about King Arthur, and some others

Pyro Tim":1l37eeuk said:
I like reading anything by Bernard Cornwall. Just read his latest, 1356, which is the latest book on a series about an English archer, during the 100 years war. He also wrote the Sharpe books, a series about King Arthur, and some others

Read this over christmas,a good read and a little look into the world of bodkin,s,le malice and shafting the french

got to love reading about shafting the French. It's why I suggested it, with OP being in France.

i also like Alexander Kent, Patrick O'Brian, etc about defeating the French at sea in the Napleonic wars

I haven't read for a while now, I must return to it I used to be an avid reader of mainly non fiction, such as the Oliver Sacks series of books and his Autobiography style book Uncle Tungsten.

Mu hubbie is a Terry Pratchett fan

I'd be interested to see how this thread progresses and get some good ideas

Alison

B77":2edca3yt said:
So what do people read or are reading or have read ?

Any recommendations not partitilarly on the subject of cycling.

If you like stuff on the history of science & technology, these were both brilliant reads with a decent "well I never knew that...." factor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Brai ... 203&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Computer-Called ... 1841151866

You don't need to be a dyed-in-the-wool computer whiz to appreciate either of them. Apologies for using links to known tax-dodgers. ;)

David

I read Bounce by Mathew Syed just before christmas.
A book devoted to debunking the myth of natural talent in elite sports.

That led to me buying Outliers by Malcom Gladwell,
A book explaining why some people or some groups of people are more likely to succeed in every thing from sport to business.

Or if you just like reading humerous nonsense then the Mysteryman series by Bateman are a good way to spend a few hours.

Back