Help me find an appropriate bike!

Max2559

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I've always ridden mountain bikes, never racers.

Currnetly however I am commuting 16 miles each way on an old KHS montana comp mountain bike (with road tyres). I like the ride, but speed is very limited (14mph average).

I'm interested in getting a retro racer to save time more than anything else.

I'm reasonable handy with bike maintenance, but I'm really looking for something I can get on and ride straight away - so something in good condition.

Problem is - I haven't the foggiest what would be good! Makes/models/costs - I am clueless.

So - can anyone suggest something that I should look for / provide any pointers? Frame size would be a good one - I'm 6ft.

Budget wise, I don't know what I'd need to spend - so some guidance there would be good to. Remember... this will be a work horse... so doesn't have to be something special. Just solid and fast.

Many thanks all!

Max

A Raleigh built of Reynolds 501 tubing, there are oodles of versions of this bike and oodles in circulation. I have the Criterium version. Lightweight enough lugged frames that can take guards/rack and come in many sizes, mines about 25".

I think 3-4" bigger than your mtb size is a good rough guide. I'd be looking at something with nice tubing (501 as mentioned or 531 would be my ideal for a commuter).

Beyond that the world's your oyster, perhaps keep an eye peeled for a good deal local to you so you can swing a leg over ;)

One thought might be to stick close to your mountain bikes in terms of gears - ie if you use 8speed Shimano stick with it so that you can move your old/worn kit onto the commuter to really kill it off completely; chains, sprokets, even 110 rings (old atb standard/compact road size). Should save you a few quid and mean emergency spares are available to get you to work!

Post up what you find and more knowledgeable folks than me will give you opinions :LOL:

velomaniac":2oygkx0u said:
A Raleigh built of Reynolds 501 tubing, there are oodles of versions of this bike and oodles in circulation. I have the Criterium version. Lightweight enough lugged frames that can take guards/rack and come in many sizes, mines about 25".

+1, good reliable entry-level frames these for trainers, winter bikes, commuters, light tourers etc. The Criterium is a cut above the other models not least 'cause it can accommodate 2 bottle cages for longer rides.
If you want to go a tad upmarket, try the Triathlon or Quadra which are 531 main triangle & fork blades. Although not designed as a tourer, my repainted Quadra (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213339) with guards, rack & panniers fits the bill well and is a reliable, comfy ride - and a stable one too, even when laden with luggage.

David

Back