Car-less...

Looks like I'm going to have to sell mine. Stupid speed bumps! I might see a solicitor to see if I can force the council to buy it from me.

Not had a car since I was 24 I've no kids though so dosent
affect me so much and if I need one I hire or borrow one.
Plus like al says you'll be fitter plus slimer n richer for it!

Same here. In fact I never bothered to get a license.

For long distances, I rent one and let a friend drive it. For large quantities of shopping, there's taxis.

I reckon I spend about £300 per year on taxis, hire cars and fuel. If I were to own a car, insurance alone would be more expensive, nevermind taxes, maintenance, fuel, the car's purchase cost, etc etc.

My accountant has a pretty awesome motor by Danish standards (we all drive cars that are at least 5 years older then the UK average due to taxation rules that make quality new cars unaffordable) but cycles to meetings whenever possible - even if it adds to the journey time by up to 40 minutes.

Yeah I don't bother with a car either, cycle to work, don't have kids so most of the time if I'm going out it involves ale / wine so is a taxi job anyway.

Raging_Bulls":3e7r8ilf said:
Same here. In fact I never bothered to get a license.

+1. Had some lessons (I was never really bothered about learning to drive but my other half at the time talked me into it - more fool me) about 8-9 years ago, failed my test, couldn't be bothered any more with the big chunks of time & cash it used up, both of which it seemed would be better spent on cycling. :)

I have a nice easy commute to/from work (20 mins each way, tops, but can easily extend it for extra training miles especially on the way back in the summer) by bike at present, whilst my tourer has a set of panniers which could give the TARDIS a good run for its money and do the job nicely for the supermarket run (coincidentally the supermarket is on my route home from work!).

Travelling to/from races is mostly by train for me (bar the odd one within riding distance) but I live in the south-east where the brilliant Network Railcard scheme makes this a cheap option. Never had any problems taking muddy cyclo-cross bikes on trains either!

David

Now. Thing is, I've been looking at cheap cars all day and can find nothing that scratches the 'itch'. Theres a lot of dull stuff about and with my minuscule budget, most of it is shagged.

I have been toying with the idea of going without, full stop. My missus still has her Doblo so we wont be without a car completely but its the end of 'bunging a bike in the boot and going for a ride' type days out. These I will miss.

The pros and cons are pretty convincing for going without so far.

Back