Kona Lavadome 1998

markwashington

Senior Retro Guru
Here's my 1998 Lavadome. I got the bike new in 1999 but for a heavily reduced price (around £400 I think) with a Project 2 which I still have. I put some bombers on it in 2001 and kept them on till 2005, when the Project twos went back on. It was my do everything bike until 2005 when I bought an Explosif, so the Lavadome was relegated to road use only, hence the slicks and pannier rack. I used it to cycle to work for five years kept it looking like an absolute shed to deter the thieves around Heathrow/Hounslow.

I moved back to Brighton last year, so the Lavadome was brought with me for commuting to and from uni and going out. I've recently stripped the whole bike down and converted it to 1x7, I put the Manitou forks on, and am going to fit some knobbly tires, as I live too close to the South Downs not to go off road. It's currently running an Avid front brake and nothing on the rear, but I'm planning to change this in the near future. Apologies or the seat, it's a stop gap as I'm looking for another Kona one.

Attachments

• IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 606
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 606
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 606
Looks in good condition Mark. I'd definitely get a rear brake on there, you'll be endo-ing everywhere otherwise :LOL:

I do love/covet a commuter'd steed, so utilitarian - I love 'em. I really like your Kona, sans back brake and all :).

What tyres are you running and how do you like their performance?. :oops:

markwashington":3eiq28eo said:
The tyres are Schwable City Jet: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24629 I've used them for years and never had any issues with them, cheap, reliable and last a decent amount of time.

Thanks for the information. I'm currently running Schwalbe CX Comp(s) over my commute - which features a variety of road surfaces ranging from ultra-glassy smooth to sand and gravel. I adore their performance and their grip but I'm concerned over their longevity, I'm starting to see slight sidewall cracking :?.

Back