1999 Kona Expolsif........ Guidance needed.........

Jonny46

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking for a bit of a shove in the right direction to be honest. I have my Expolsif that I'm looking to get trail ready again. A lot of the components need upgrading and Im trying to do this in keeping with the age and look of the bike.

I have recently bought a pair of 717 XC Mavic rims with XT hubs and an 8 speed cassette, Syncross stem, bars and skewers, Thomson seat post, Chris King headset and a pair of Avid V brakes in DX red so the parts pile is growing.

I'm now looking to swap the Levers and shifters but I don't know what I need to be right for the bike and 8 speed. Preferably I'd like XTR, would these need to be 950 or 951?? XT would obviously be the next best but I have no clue at all on part codes, this where I need some help!

I'm also looking for a god pair of suspension forks, but what would be right for the bike, travel, looks etc??

Thanks for your time reading this and hopefully you can offer some guidance or even parts.

Cheers,
John

Jonny46":10kj6sgo said:
I'm looking for a bit of a shove in the right direction to be honest. I have my Expolsif that I'm looking to get trail ready again. A lot of the components need upgrading and Im trying to do this in keeping with the age and look of the bike.

I have recently bought a pair of 717 XC Mavic rims with XT hubs and an 8 speed cassette, Syncross stem, bars and skewers, Thomson seat post, Chris King headset and a pair of Avid V brakes in DX red so the parts pile is growing.

I'm now looking to swap the Levers and shifters but I don't know what I need to be right for the bike and 8 speed. Preferably I'd like XTR, would these need to be 950 or 951?? XT would obviously be the next best but I have no clue at all on part codes, this where I need some help!

I'm also looking for a god pair of suspension forks, but what would be right for the bike, travel, looks etc??

Thanks for your time reading this and hopefully you can offer some guidance or even parts.

Cheers,
John

I'd put some 100mm Marzocchi Z3's on it, personally. I always associate Marzocchi with Kona anyway, for some reason.

The last 8spd XT range was M739 / 740.... it went 9spd for M750. Derailleur's, cassettes, cranks and freehubs for all ranges will all be cross compatible with 8spd. Its only the shifters that wont be (my XTR on my Kialuea is all 8spd, except the mechs which are both technically 9spd M952)

XT is great, and you wont go wrong with it... it was only the colour match of the XTR that made me go down that route many years ago, and it just went on from there

Marzocchi and Kona go together like tea and cake

G

Andy R - That's a good shout to be honest as they seem much easier to locate than Z2's. I have a set of Z4's that came with the bike but they appear aesthetically tired and well used so I thought about getting something else that looked to be in better shape.

G - Thank you for your help. Just to clarify, If i get 952 mechs they will still work on an 8 speed cassette? Would it be easier to buy a 9 speed cassette and fit that to my hub instead of persevering with the 8 speed it was supplied with?

Cheers,
John

yep, M952 mechs will work on an 8spd cassette... although its entirely up to you if you want to go up to 9spd (which will mean sourcing new shifters, on top of the mechs and cassette)

Worth taking care however that you dont fall into the "rapid fire / rapid rise" trap....
Rapid fire is regular, while rapid rise has the springs in the mechs reversed.

G

Hi John

The 1999 Explosif came with 9 speed, although the 1998 bike which has the same frame had 8, I have both bikes and have run many fork variations on my 1998 frame. I've run a suspension corrected P2, 63mm Sids, 80mm Sids and Bombers and 100mm Bombers. In my opinion an 80mm Bomber is the prefect fork for the frame, this is what it came with after all, but it depends on how you like the bike to feel, I prefer a longer stem and shorter fork, but a longer fork and shorter stem is a time honored classic that also works pretty well.

If you get a 952 mech you'll need to change the jockey wheels because they are 9 speed, which means they have one more tooth than an 8 speed one.

I have a set of ceramic 8 speed jockey wheels kicking about in the man cave.

I'd defo get a set of Marzocchis for it. They just go so well with
Konas.

Back