1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Another of my little beauties.

1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp.

This is a Work In Progress bike, need's finishing off by the addition of the standard spec parts.

GEDC1321.jpg

GEDC1322.jpg

GEDC1323.jpg

GEDC1324.jpg

GEDC1325.jpg

GEDC1327.jpg

GEDC1330.jpg

GEDC1337.jpg

GEDC1341.jpg

GEDC1343.jpg

GEDC1339.jpg

GEDC1332.jpg

GEDC1333.jpg

GEDC1326.jpg

Nice! Look forward to seeing it back to standard spec. I suppose the colour looks a bit unconventional today but back in the day fluorescent socks and leggings matched it nicely... :cool:

Love those wild eighties paintjobs, but I'm loving eighties geometry even more. I bet it'll be a pleasure to ride.

My first "proper bike" was one of these - Although I thought mine was a blue and white fade.

I bought it from its original owner in the early 90's.

By that time it had had canti tabs and bridge brazed on by Argos in Bristol (may explain the colour change).

Mine ran full XT and when one to sport a rather natty (applied by brush) yellow paint job and wait ..... Kona decals.

Its on my list of this to replicate - sans Kona decals :LOL:

Only pic I have is this one from 1995(?) excuse the postet note I cannot find the original pic to rescan :LOL:

SCAN0004.jpg

I've seen this in the flesh and its in lovely condition!

I'll look forward to seeing it out and about sometime soon Rich, maybe change the tyres though eh ;)

Nice!

I allmost bought a 1987 Stumpjumper today. Too bad the postage was too high. It had the same color I think.

Great feedback guys, thanks. Go have a look at my 1988 Rockhopper, you'll find the link in my signature. The Rockhopper Comp will receive the same level of treatment, cleaning and servicing etc. I'll be working on it next year as I have a few other projects on the go, this one will be in the loft by the end of the day, making room for a few Nishiki's I'm working on, also planning on selling my 1991 Kona Explosif.

I have one of these [same paint]less wheels so great to see such a nice example here.
Its rough and rusty compared to yours.
I thought it was an 89; so good to get some more accurate dating.
Have you got a frame number there?
Have the rims got a pin stripe or a pressed ridge alongside the spoke nipple holes? Black Rims were standard???
I did not have a stem but can see what it should have now.

That was my first bike too ..albeit I had the blue and white one. Looks in great condition that. Should come up nicely. :D

oh.....If you need some 6 speed deore thumbies to replace those ......errmm... 'gear things' ....gis a shout. :D

Back