My first full susser - GT LTS-5 - A stolen bike!!!

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
UPDATE:

I volunteer at a community bike workshop every Tuesday. Couldn't make it last Tuesday so went in on Wednesday instead. Sat eating my sandwiches when a man comes in talking to the boss, looking for a bike, preferably GT. His had been stolen end of 2012. I was half listening when he mentioned red & yellow GT LTS5, nearly choked on my sandwich. I waited until he was leaving and went over to him for a bit more info and there is no doubt my new bike is his stolen one. Long story short I gave it back to him, but like a gent he gave me what I paid for it, just glad to have it back - he'd actually sent to the States for new elastomers. I had the receipt so he's going to Cash Generator to try to get the money back, with his friend who's the local policeman.

Moral: Listen to the tales and don't buy a bike from CG.

P.S. We've both done OK. I got to use the bike for 5 months for free without being arrested by the police. He's got a fully serviced bike with new brake blocks and better saddle and stem.

I was looking at this for a couple of days in a second-hand shop, doing some internet research before deciding to buy for £60.

I've wanted to try full suspension for a while but not wanting to spend a lot of money. I like the style of this bike, and it's in good condition with no dents, serious rust etc., but most importantly the rear suspension elastomers look in almost perfect condition. The fork, I believe, is an RST 381, which although not a high end piece of kit still seems to work well.

First impression of the ride is quite good: I've not tried it off-road yet, but will probably change some of the STX/Alivio kit on it first.

I know they were not a top end bike in their day, but I thought it was worth a punt, hopefully if I don't like it I'll sell it on for about what I paid.

Any views on these bikes and whether I was about right on the price.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 943
you wer robbed - it is worht no more than £ 55. :twisted:

seriously, the amount of money that you spend to fill up your car with fuel is a unit of "throwaway" money - so you need not worry about whether you paid too much - looks like a good deal to me.

Hi. I like that! :D . I would have bought that for £60 and had a big smile on my face,,,Try buying anything other than a pair of grips or a puncture outfit in one of the "trendy bike shops" for the same money.
Good solid bike and not another hydro-formed clone, also a good excuse to indulge in our "addiction".
Take it off-road and give it a good thrashing :)
Mark.

Back