My 1989 kona explosif project(finally after 25 yrs) pic on 5

Tc said:
I remember Dentons used to there everytime we had a home game!

Anyone remember the bike shop in Whitley in the early 90's?

Tc

Whiptail in tynemouth is the new steels m8, proper old school bike shop,there's nowt Ben doesn't know about bikes,I blame him for all the konas I've got :) ,coz he was the only place round my way who could resurect my 93 lavadome,the other local bike shops just looked at me like i was mad when brought it in (typical modern day bike shops),the one on the bottom of park view said why bother m8 and pointed to one of the new bikes at the time lol

mkaavin":d7xtbheg said:
Spanky22b":d7xtbheg said:
mkaavin":d7xtbheg said:
What a great bike! Congratulations! :)

It's always nice to see someones dream come true.

What did you feel the first time you got it home......and the first time you rode it?

I was like a little kid on Christmas unwrapping his presents,bubble wrap was going everywhere :) I haven't rode it yet i'm just a few more parts and going to touch up the paint around the chain stays,then it'll be ready to go out and get it caked in mud :)

This is the best part isn't it? :-D Finding the bike of your dreams........holding it in your hands.....old memories flash back......great! ....and then....finding the last bits before finally riding your childhood dream.

One of life's really good moments. :)

The best feeling in the world mkaavin.. From the day i seen that bike in the shop & seen the colour with the splatter paint & the tange prestige badge (which at the time if it had that badge you knew it was gonna be mint lol) i was fixed on that bike,I had to have it :) And like you say even after 25 years it still frustrates me coz i need a couple of parts lol. My birthdays in February so i want to get it sorted by then and i'm planning on taking it to newcastleton on the borders then head over to glentress and camp there for the night and ride spooky woods then really test it out in the freeride park,should be brilliant :)

Great Bike.

I looked for ages to find one, and evenchally got one. Mine is completly original except the tyres (but I have them) and has had very little use.
If you want photos, just let me know.

littleblackflash":2jdrhpx1 said:
Great Bike.

I looked for ages to find one, and evenchally got one. Mine is completly original except the tyres (but I have them) and has had very little use.
If you want photos, just let me know.

Aye send me some pics m8 i'd love to see it. I'm keeping this original as possible but finding nos or decent Deore II parts is hard there as rare as the bike :) and Araya RM20 rims are rare especially the anodised ones i'm after. Any ideas where you can get some of the stuff?

Re: This is my 88/89 kona explosif project(finally after 25

Just thought i'd add a couple of quick photos i took of the bike as it is now. I managed to find a nos Deore XT seatpost which was for sale in Germany. Also was able to find the elusive Deore II pedals and hubs from a spot on person in America. He even had the Araya RM20 rims i'm after but sadly they were in silver and not the nos anodised version what i want to finish the bike off. I've had it out on the trails and it flys along compared to my other konas that's why i've started to sell them off. Hopefully if it rains tommorrow and i can get out on the local trails at hollywell dene and get it caked in clarts and take some photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 812
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 812
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 812

Now that's mint luv the splatter Konas that would be a dry day only rider for me :LOL:

Spanky22b":e0i01ulh said:
He even had the Araya RM20 rims i'm after but sadly they were in silver and not the nos anodised version what i want to finish the bike off.

These were what it would have originally come with???, well mine has now, and did have in 1989 too:

Back