Any Pro Rider tips please

snapper

Retro Guru
I am returning back to riding distance trips.{.from 15-50 klm at a time }..so i need pro riders food intake /portions /calorie suggestions..do../donts ...

thank you ... :D

For short distances like 15km I'd just take water. Even 50km isn't exactly a TDF stage, I might take a banana and maybe stop at a pub at the half way mark and have a water, barley and hop based energy drink. :D

snapper":18riisun said:
I am returning back to riding distance trips.{.from 15-50 klm at a time }..so i need pro riders food intake /portions /calorie suggestions..do../donts ...

thank you ... :D

start your rides quickly, get quicker and then finish insanely quickly...combine with a shed load of drugs.

if this doesnt appeal i'd recommend flapjacks :D

Nice to see you getting some sound and sensible advice :roll:

I take a drink on all my rides, moreso when it's hot. For short rides like 15 to 20k, then I just have something like orange squash. When I'm riding further I sometimes use a zero calorie caffine drink (made by High 5) or I'll take 750mls of energy drink (I use Bike Food). As far as food is concerned, I might take a couple of energy bars, but I also take a couple of gels to give a quicker energy lift, a few people I know use honey rather than gels.

How much and how often is really down to how hard you are working, probably best to take too much and bring some home rather than run out of steam with 10k to go. If you are using a HRM, don't forget that digestion can put around 3 to 5 bpm on your heart rate.

BTW: I am very much NOT a pro, and this is just what I do as an mtb'er and newbie road rider.

Drink every 15mins. Eat every 15miles.

I take a water bottle with a scoop of sports powder in, I think squash would probably do the same.

Banana, or a flapjack, maybe a cake or just a Mars bar.

That tends to be my routine. I'm no pro but I think you'll have enough calories in reserve to cover the eating bit at those distances. Staying hydrated is probably more important especially if its hot of course.

Breathing out is important too, push the bad air out of your lungs nice oxygen rich air will naturally be sucked back in.

DIY energy drink: Big glug of orange juice (not squash, juice). Spoonful of honey. Bit of salt, not so much that you taste it. Top up with water. Shake vigorously. I've given up on powdered energy drinks now. And water's all you need for an hour or so.

squash with honey.....banana......jelly baby or two...enough cash to sort out any transport/hunger issues whilst out........one medium bar of MTFU.......i'm yet to not return from a ride..... :D

Absolutely go with the natural energy replacements and avoid like the plague the red bull type

also, it will become addictive once you start to see the positive results but don't ignore your body, some days it will just want a day off so never be too afraid to have that day off

it only works if it's fun, push on those fun days and go with your normal on the not so fun days

pro

Gods-own-energy drink? 24 of these every 45 mins has been scientifically PROVEN to make a massive difference to your race times...

Attachments

• yum bum.jpg
    yum bum.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 379
Back