The original amber wall tyres thread

lewis1641":2gatnnsn said:
I think my point is that it is one thing looking the part and another actually being the part.
Depends whether you want to actually ride the damn thing (properly) or not - new rubber is a hell of a lot better than 20yr-old tyres that have been sat around.

lewis1641":2gatnnsn said:
I know its ridiculous but imagine someone created a full retro bike out of modern repro parts, it wouldn't be right would it?
See above. I'm very tempted by the idea of a retro steel F&F (if only because there's no current steel alternative with rim brake bosses and no disc tabs without going custom), with a modern Deore 9sp V-brake groupset, modern Deore non-disc hubbed wheels, new skinwall tyres, and new finishing kit. Retro looks and ethos, modern parts availability and the reassurance that an old alloy stem or bar isn't going snap on me when I need it not to. Reckon I could do the full build for under £500, and apart from the F&F would be a brand new bike.

Win-win :)

I have to admit Wookie, that that thought crossed my mind when they had them in stock, but decided that would be too shady. In the end I thought, they've got loads, I'll wait until I need it. Now I've ordered the dart, but no smoke :cry:

Pyro Tim":34gexwm7 said:
I have to admit Wookie, that that thought crossed my mind when they had them in stock, but decided that would be too shady. In the end I thought, they've got loads, I'll wait until I need it. Now I've ordered the dart, but no smoke :cry:

you and me both!

Why?

Why?, Why hasn't anyone else botherd to try get a uk distributor if they make them, don't make sense to me, I will try get a pair from Germany see if there in stock in the morning

wookiee":19y6aclu said:
Pyro Tim":19y6aclu said:

you and me both!

to be fair, I have an old smoke, that is in very good shape that I got on an old bike. If I can find an old Dart, in good shape, I'll be happy as a pig in muck

If they made them in the proper 'lite' size then I would be in, the current ones are far to wide for a retrobike and real riding.

FluffyChicken":2p7xl4wg said:
If they made them in the proper 'lite' size then I would be in, the current ones are far to wide for a retrobike and real riding.

Real riding where you are maybe, round here tyres can't be too big, my 2.4's on my modern bike feel skinny sometimes around all these big rocks..... :D

Inspect any tyres new or old very carefully - then ride the tits off them.

Theres a lot of hoo-har in general about anything over 5 minutes old.

FluffyChicken":3onn9g2j said:

Even by mid-90s standards, Smoke Lites were stupidly thin and a bit rubbish :)

I quite like[1] the idea of a new retro[2]. New cantis (plenty around for CX bikes, I've got some Cane Creek ones that are very similar to Diacompe 986s), set of 9spd thumbies, 2013 skinwall tyres, flat (but wide and oversized) bar. Would be a cool thing, I think. Building it around a new frame without going custom would be tricky, though.

MikeD":hoym6ji4 said:
FluffyChicken":hoym6ji4 said:

Even by mid-90s standards, Smoke Lites were stupidly thin and a bit rubbish :)

I quite like[1] the idea of a new retro[2]. New cantis (plenty around for CX bikes, I've got some Cane Creek ones that are very similar to Diacompe 986s), set of 9spd thumbies, 2013 skinwall tyres, flat (but wide and oversized) bar. Would be a cool thing, I think. Building it around a new frame without going custom would be tricky, though.

Mid 90 is practically modern though, and all that other modern talk people are chatting... 9 speed 2.something tyres.. Shudder

Back