Camera value questions

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got a Centon K100 camera and a spare lens. Belonged to my Grandfather but I've never used it. Not really into photography (nudge nudge wink wink). The spare lens is made by Hama? Pictures below. But any idea what they would be worth?
Will be selling them soon so any interest as well?

2013-01-09083825_zpsd8169f79.jpg

2013-01-09083758_zpsb71a52b2.jpg

search ebay then clock the "completed listings" tab on the left hand side of the page. that shows what prices stuff did and didnt sell for. £5 to £25 looks to be about right

The very sad fact is that they'll be worth next to bugger all, unfortunately, such is the general public's lack of appreciation of this "old crap" and Centon was hardly a big name.
I've still got my whole Olympus OM system outfit (primes from 18 to 200mm, (some of them M system) plus a couple of bodies and even that lot's worth so little that I can't bear to part with it.
It's probably only the M-1 body and M system lenses that are worth much at all, to be honest the rest I might as well give away.

To give you an idea, I sold my Zeiss Ikon Contarex outfit a few years ago - two bodies, four Carl Zeiss lenses plus accessories- and only got less than £400 for the lot. A Contarex body plus F1.8 Planar cost that much in 1968 when I was earning less than £20 a week.......
That's why I won't sell the Olympus stuff, that and the fact that the M-1 was a 21st birthday present in 1973.

Keep it and get into some B&W work is my suggestion if you want to get something from it, because it certaiinly won't be any financial reward.

Is it strong enough for MTB'ing? Where can I learn how to use it properly? As I said I've never really had much interest in photography. But I guess if its not worth anything I should have a go.

Logic.Al":2i85hag8 said:
Is it strong enough for MTB'ing? Where can I learn how to use it properly? As I said I've never really had much interest in photography. But I guess if its not worth anything I should have a go.
buy some 35mm film from poundland and just practice

you will find loads of info on internet

things you want to learn are aperture and shutter speeds

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files/centon_k100.pdf

The fact that it's all almost valueless means that you can give it a go without worrying whether you'll take to it or not. I bought an old Praktica with 50mm & tele lenses from a charity shop for £25, on the off-chance I might enjoy getting into film photography. I do really enjoy it, but if I'd hated it/been crap, it was only a fairly small outlay.
The only thing you'd need to invest well in, in the long term, is a negative scanner (assuming you don't want to pay a local developer to do all your films) - decent quality ones can be pricey.

it's worth (relatively) little.

Keep it and use it. Poundland film. Superb. Or buy from discount films direct.co.uk - nice chap.

Film is on the up again anyway, has seen the darkest days and is having a small renaissance.

Andy - keep your OM. the better film kit is rising in price.

G

I had words with the OH yesterday. Turns out she did photography at GCSE so knows a little about it. Why she hasn't mentioned it in the last 6 years together. So I shall be keeping it and learning how to take arty photo's of bikes for POTM and BOTM :) By the time I've learnt the Zaskar should be finished lol.

Back