The original amber wall tyres thread

Originals are avaliable, it's just most can't justify or are too tight to pay the going rate :p :LOL:

lewis1641":2py00h1a said:
I think my point is that it is one thing looking the part and another actually being the part.

I know its ridiculous but imagine someone created a full retro bike out of modern repro parts, it wouldn't be right would it?

Why not?

It's the 'look' that matters, not slavishly sourcing worn out old cr*p for extortionate amounts of money...

...what'(wa)s the point of paying mega-bucks for a pair of NOS red Megabites when you know you can't trust the integrity of the carcases - I ask myself... :oops: ?

It's not about the look for me. It's about a build being "correct"

Horses for courses though

Outlay mostly, despite most of us being keen for repro's the mould production costs etc are high and then as the case with mombat, when you get them from the states to the uk and that's $100 then the postage of $40 then the inevitable customs which will add about another $40 and of course parcel forces slice of about $12

so suddenly your total for cheap retro tyres becomes 121 quid. The trouble with that for mombat is that suddenly a lack of customers wanting them see's them with a lot of tyres that to now shift will probably be sold either at a loss or..so cheap that the profit would not be worth it at all

As long as you don't mind waiting then you can get originals on occasion for about the same price but there is the trade off, originals could be 20-30 years old, so how good would the tire be.

When it comes to tyres we just have to except that the supply is draining out and we will have to accept alternatives, repros or incredibly high priced nos old tyres

sylus":2oglg919 said:
Outlay mostly, despite most of us being keen for repro's the mould production costs etc are high and then as the case with mombat, when you get them from the states to the uk and that's $100 then the postage of $40 then the inevitable customs which will add about another $40 and of course parcel forces slice of about $12

so suddenly your total for cheap retro tyres becomes 121 quid. The trouble with that for mombat is that suddenly a lack of customers wanting them see's them with a lot of tyres that to now shift will probably be sold either at a loss or..so cheap that the profit would not be worth it at all

As long as you don't mind waiting then you can get originals on occasion for about the same price but there is the trade off, originals could be 20-30 years old, so how good would the tire be.

When it comes to tyres we just have to except that the supply is draining out and we will have to accept alternatives, repros or incredibly high priced nos old tyres

Well, you are right about that but at least the Timbuks are available. I would gladly pay more than a 120 £ for a NOS set of Death Grips even if they were reproduced. 20 year old originals are not very reliable.

I would imagine that a lot of other Klein owners feel the same way so Mombat should have few problems making a profit on these.

Just keep an eye out for some duff old bikes on ebay that have hardly been used. Even some of the low end brands used decent tyres bitd. I've scored plenty of bikes in the past where the tyres have been worth more then the bike cost. You just need the time to trawl though all the tat ;)

1 - I have never liked amber/tan/skin walls.... they make a bike look like a Tesco/Argos BSO

2 - Not a particular fan of "parts correct" or "catalogue/period" builds... we all worked a paper round to upgrade our bikes with better parts when we were kids, so whats the difference now?

*ducks and runs for cover*

G

panaracer

iv emailed panaracer direct telling them to do the smoke and dart in a amber wall, told them there is a market out there for amber walls, yes not a massive one but big enough, they already do a urban tyre with a amber wall so why not the smoke and dart ? call it the classic range

if you dont ask you dont get, you never know

unkleGsif":79uxepj7 said:
2 - Not a particular fan of "parts correct" or "catalogue/period" builds... we all worked a paper round to upgrade our bikes with better parts when we were kids, so whats the difference now?

*ducks and runs for cover*

G

the "scene" is evolving. i had a bike built from the proceeds of pocket mney and working on a mushroom farm, and it was a dogs dinner, i really wouldnt want to replicate that now. I think there is a beauty to be found in an unmolested rock stock bike, especially when you find it in that way, my trek 9000 being a reasonable example of this

Back