1x9, 2x9 or 3x9 for mid wales riding..

jujupunk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Probably a pointless question but would value the input and opinion of others.

I curretnyl ride 1x9 setup on a rigid 29er in the Chilterns. I'm going for a 6 day holiday in midwales for one XC race and plenty of more riding. I'm thinking it would be best to change to a 2x9 or 3x9 due to the mountains.

What would you do?

I'm not quite as far up as mid, more south/mid :D
I run 2x9 on the bike i use the most.
Chainset is an FSA Comet with 29-42t rings(39 is apparently available but i can't find one anywhere :? )
Cassette is 12-32 and i mange to run a shortcage mech.
I'm far from fit but i manage to get up most things, apart from the odd v.short, v.steep climbs :D

I manage to drag my SX Trail up everything in the Peaks when I go up there and I run a 1 x 10 set up. My bike is also quite heavy and I run super tacky tyres.

Reckon you'll be fine.

I changed my chain set yesterday back to a 3 x 9 setup but will change it back to a single ring after the race. Gives me just a little bit more confidence that I'll be able to make it up some of the hills.

Really like the look of the new SRAM 1x11, if its true what they say its all you'd ever need. Pricey though :(

I like what is being said about the SRAM, but I don't believe the hype about the chain.

I think a lot of the attraction to these systems is from people who don't like getting their hands dirty. Like me.

:)

Back