rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I need some advice, I won the following auction for a magura Laurin;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290837258584? ... 1439.l2649

All seems fine, good feedback etc.
But the Sale seems a bit too good to be true, it went for a smallish amount compared to how much these Magura Laurin's are selling for.
So when I clicked Pay, using Paypal (of course) it sent me a message saying 'Payment Pending', then the seller sent me a message via ebay saying the Paypal address is not the correct one and to send the payment to the address he then supplied.
This has just happened. I then went onto paypal and had the option of 'cance;' which I did, and this reversed the pending payment.
All good. Then I decided to click, on paypal, send money for 'ebay items', but Paypal did not allow me to send money to the new email he supplied, and instead suggested that for ebay items I should check out on eBay.

Now, what would you do?

Send the Payment for 'goods and services' via paypal to his paypal address supplied?

or Query this with ebay?

Or what?

I have written to him, via ebay telling him what message paypal has just given, and sent him a 'request amount' message too via ebay, and I have written to explain that I prefer his Paypal to be via ebay.

What do you reckon? is this a fraud?
Or what?

are the forks worth the amount I am going to (if all's well) pay?

regards

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Pay through ebay only. Shouldnt have reversed it. His fault if its not linked up right. Sounds dodgy as hell, possible scam. Id say only got through paypal/ebay but even then some scammers take the money and run somehow.

Thanks man, I suspect a fraud, why would his paypal email not be linked to his paypal on ebay?

The payment to the non existant Paypal of his didn't go through, it was 'pending', and not 'completed' as is normal. It was then that I read his message.
And then that I simp,y clicked the only option next to 'pending' which was 'cancel'. Phew!

Any others with advice too? Or having been through similar?

Tell them you were unable to do it, so they need to add their other email address to their Paypal to allow you to use it. That is no problem at all for them, so they should get on with it.

He just messaged me and asked me to try again, I did so, via ebay and got the following;

9 Jan 2013 Payment To mike.defresne@belgacom.net Unclaimed Details Payment To mike.defresne@belgacom.net 4K19840047322533T Cancel -€101.50 EUR

and 'unclaimed' means;

Unclaimed
Payments Sent: A payment may be unclaimed for several reasons:
The recipient has not signed up to PayPal and has not yet received your payment
The recipient has a PayPal Personal account (which cannot receive more than five debit or credit card-funded payments a year)
The recipient hasn't accepted the payment
The recipient has chosen to individually accept or decline payments from customers who don't have a confirmed postal address.
The money has been deducted from your PayPal account. You can cancel this payment by clicking "Unclaimed" and then "Cancel Payment". After 30 days unclaimed transactions are automatically cancelled.

So I wrote to him again and am awaiting his response.

I still smell a rat.

I have had a few seemingly dodgy deals the past year, but ultimately I got my goods and partial refunds I requested, or complete refunds. Going through Paypal was the only guarantee I had.

He seems to be selling a lot of forks, sounds like he might work in a bike store or such.

Given you have been messed around a little already you could justifiably pull out of the sale if you feel shakey.

I couldn't say about the forks themselves. If they as described then they are probably worth a lot more than the price being asked, but the seller does not even provide a picture of the actual item.

Mysterious.

Right, I checked this morning, and the paypal payment is still unclaimed and under the original address.
I then checked his Items and guess what? NONE, all gone! And then checked his seller feedback and the last one was in March 2012. His buyer feedback are all obscure easy listening Vinyl's and such, so I am totally not sure. I emailed the seller, asking him to relist and to cancel the purchase and I explained my reasons, I apologised but explained that I didn't wish for any problems.

Well, better to be safe than sorry!

I'd report this to eBay as well for what it's worth. You may prevent someone less savvy being stung.

Fair enough, but you could always have waited a few days to see if anyone gives him feedback for the other items, which all appeared to have sold rather than being removed.

Only thing I can think of is that the Ebay account was compromised but they were unable to log into the Paypal account.

Who knows! :)

Back