'99 Specialized FSR Enduro - upgrade or sell?

ZeeSaffa

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Firslty, I'm new to this forum and have to say it's very cool! Only recently discovered it after inheriting my bike from my bro-in-law a few years back - and this has totally re-ignited my love for the bike now that I've seen what some of you have done with them.

That being said, I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to do with mine and looking for some advice please...

It has had some upgrades: Hope discs (sharkfin'd) , Mavic wheels on XT hubs and I've also just put on a new groupset (Deore & XT). Still running LX shifters.

I'm also still on the original suspension:
Forks - Rock Shox Judy C, 3.15" travel
Rear - Rock Shox Deluxe, 4.3" travel

Needless to say they are done for.

I class myself as a novice rider. I get out once or twice a month for XC routes and also do the occasional trail centre. This blue run vid of Llandegla gives you an idea of what I want the bike to be capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmURxAoyFWc

So, should I upgrade the suspension?
Or should I sell and move on?

If I was to upgrade I would have to do the forks first under budget of £200. (I'd be happy to buy second hand if it was worth it).

I'd do the rear at a later stage.
I might just look at getting a new spring for the rear shock for the time being (I'm 14.5st so the one that's on there is no good for me anyway).

What do you think the best course of action for me is?

If you think an upgrade to the forks - then could you suggest models, travel, etc please?

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

I'd personally keep it and buy some new forks. Your budget should get you a good set of Rock Shox Reba's which are highly regarded. You seem to have it well spec'd and I doubt you'd get all that much for it second hand, certainly not enough to go out and buy a new bike of similar spec.

Thanks!

So, if I upgraded the forks with the Rebas but left the rear shock for the time being - would that be an ok set up for a while in regard to the geometry - enough that its noticeable?

If you change the rear shock you'll need to fit the same size ( eye to eye and stroke length ). The Reba's are a fairly short fork so shouldn't impact too much on the geometry...if anything they may slacken the bike off slightly making it more stable and akin to a modern bike.

I'd look for a 100mm pair or a pair with the U Turn system which would allow to wind the travel down to 100mm, matching the rear end.

currently running my 99 FSR with the smaller 4.3 Rockshox Deluxe rear shock from my 98gc, the longer travel fox rear shock no longer has any rebound :LOL:

Still running the front with a 2001 Marzocchi Z1 Drop Off and i belive the travel is 130mm, no ill effects at all.

Back