Chains

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

PLEASE READ POST AT BOTTOM - IT CLARIFIES THIS ONE!

I was pondering, as i do, about chains. If i have an Ultegra chainset do i require the appropriate Shimano chain? Can i use one will the same dimensions?

Also, If i use and alternative freewheel/cassette how would this affect the chain size or type?

I am asking as i have checked Velobase regarding this particular chain and there do not seem to be many about.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quick final ask - what is the name of the cable outer ferrule which fits into the boss on the chainstay - i am looking for one which is narrower than the cable outer on one end.

Thanks all!!!!!

you can use any chain as long as you respect the number of speed .

ie : for a 9spd cassette you need a 9 speed chain .

Thanks, but, ignorant of many bike things as i am, if i use a 9sp cassette and a narrow suitable chain would that not cause problems at the chainwheels?

Good question, i have no exact answer at the moment - perhaps early to mid-80's.

The question is not really specific to the Tricolour chainset but more in general about Shimano chains and replacement chains which will operate well.

Thanks

Greetings

You can use any manufacturer's chain as long as it is consistent with the number of gears in the back, as cchis2lou said, 9 speed chain with a 9 speed cassette. That said I have had some success bending the rules somewhat. For instance I have an 80s road bike with the pressed in bottom bracket so upgrading the cranks is not possible. I have run up to a 9 speed cassette, with the appropriate 9 speed chain, but kept the Dura-ace 7/8 speed crankset.

I run a 7400 Dura-Ace crank and rings with a 10 speed Campy Super Record chain and cassette with no problems. I also run an 8 speed Sweet Wings crank with 10 speed SRAM Red chain and cassette. Honestly keep the chain and cassette in the same bed and your bike will work. They don't have to be the same level just the same spacing, 9 speed with 9 speed, Shimano with Shimano. Mix SRAM with Shimano all you like (unless it's a PowerDome cassette and you want it to be quiet... then use a 1090r chain and change it every 2500 miles) and KMC clones will work with anything so long as the spacing is right for the number of speeds and manufacturer of your cassette.

Apologies for the confusion i think i have caused the groupset is a Shimano 600Ex Ultegra AKA Tri-colour

Velobase link - http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?Grou ... c33dc9924d

I have been a little tired all week due to family difficulties and only realised what i had typed tonight!!! My fault entirely.

The original query still stands - which chain would be most suitable for this chainset? Should i try looking for the original Shimano? What are the best options?

Thanks all (again)

The best chain for this set up would be a NOS Shimano Uniglide/Hyperglide, second choice would be a new aftermarket 7/8 speed chain like a Z-Chain.

according to the Shimano database look for CN-HG90

Crank doesn't matter much. It's all in the cassette. The only issue you'll run into on the crank end is if the chain is super thin (10 or 11 speed) it can fall in between the 2 chainrings at the front when shifting.

If you're using a 9 speed cassette and your on a budget go for the KMC X9 (about $20) or the KMC X9.99 (about $25). If the price isn't an issue get the KMC X9 SL ($50) it's got hollow pins and cut out links to make a much lighter chain... And it's gold.

If you're running a 6 or 7 speed freewheel there's not much in the way of nice chains. If you've got 8 speeds in the back get a SRAM PG890 ($25) cause they're good enough and cheap enough.

The ferrule thing you're looking for is called a step-down ferrule. They should be available at any local bike shop.

Back