Kona Explosif I.D.

Rampage":3v9jbkhy said:
I stripped it last night, the bare frame weighs 4.65lb, the headtube is 1".
Assuming Kona measure from centre BB - centre top tube it is a 16", with the top tube and chainstay length being different between 1990 and 1991, it is the 1990 sizes.
Also on the rear brake boss, I found turquoise paint (primer?) and a small piece that is black with a red splatter on it.
I believe they measured size in 1990 from the outside of the bb shell to the top of the seat tube, which from what you say presumably means that this is a size 18 (or 18.75 from c-t). It would be interesting to know the c-c length of the top tube.

The weight seems to be roughly as expected for the size. Also the 1" head tube is a 1990 feature (and we can see it in Caramba Kid's photo of his).

I think there were quite a few who didn't like the 1990 fad for spatter paint, not even when Paul Brodie was the artist. I would imagine this must be the most likely explanation for the respray so early in its life.

Anthony":2gyqhnvg said:
I think there were quite a few who didn't like the 1990 fad for spatter paint, not even when Paul Brodie was the artist.

Philistines, all of them :roll:

Aye some didn't like the look of them,for me i love them I'm on a mission to own everyone they done. I also like the fact that no two bikes will ever been the same.

Centre BB - centre top tube is 16"
Centre BB - top of seattube is 18"
Top of BB - centre top tube is 15.25"
Top of BB - top of seattube is 17.125"

Top tube c-c is 21.5"

Chainstay length is 16.9"

Unfortunately I am rapidly going off the splatter paint :(

The dropouts have Shimano stamped on them, I've not seen this before, did Shimano make dropouts?

oMwnZDkL_original.jpg

Thanks, that goes back to what I thought originally - i.e. that the outside of bb sizing applied only to 91 and 92. So this is a 1990 size 18, sized c-t, and with the top tube and wheelbase both half an inch shorter than subsequently, but with slightly longer stems to compensate.

I think lots of makes used Shimano dropouts at that time, didn't they?

Not related to this particular frame, but Anthony... am I right in thinking that an Explosif of this year wouldnt have had pannier braze-ons...?

There is one on ebay at the moment that does, but still has the flared seat-tube

G

unkleGsif":20iwl62h said:
Not related to this particular frame, but Anthony... am I right in thinking that an Explosif of this year wouldnt have had pannier braze-ons...?
There is one on ebay at the moment that does, but still has the flared seat-tube
I wouldn't like to say that none of them did, but I don't think I've seen one. The only one I can see on eBay atm (black one?) is I think a 1991 frame as stated, and they did (mostly) have rack bosses.

Just going by my bikes and the ones in the catalogues. My 88/89 explosif has them,can't see any on the 1990 & 1991 explosifs and my 1992 bike has them.

Just had a look at the one on eBay,shame its not in its original deep purple coz I'm after a 91 explosif for my collection. I like the way you've done your siingle speed Cindercone unkleGsif looks mint,i might do that with my firemountain.

Back